1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what dvd to use dvd+r or dvd-r?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by diablo, Oct 29, 2003.

1. diablo

diablo Guest

i have an home aiwa dvd player xd-az1. i called the company to find out what dvd will play in it.. they didnt or wouldnt tell me.

i want to know what disk has the best chance of working in my player a dvd+r or a dvd-r or if it doesnt matter cause i rather use the cheaper negatives than the more expensive +'s?
    some one told me the dvd+r have a better chance of workin? is that true or just bull?

if after i burn a dvd and try it and find out my dvds dont play in my player are there any trick to make it work ?

thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Latest stats say that Slightly more players support the Minus Standard than the Plus standard ,I think it was something like 93% of all Players sold on 2002 supported DVD-R compared to 87% for DVD+R but most support both....

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

As a rule of thumb, get the best discs you can. Cheap ones are much more likely to fail.
    As to format, it depends on what you are doing. For commercial use, never use the + format as it can not use the DVD logos. For home use, they are okay.
    Best buys IMO are either Maxell - or Verbatim - discs as these have the best compatibility and less chance of failure.
    HTH

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

And if you want an endorsement from Praetor... use -R(W) :p

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Absolutely! I would NEVER even consider using the +format. It is not endorsed bty the DVD forum, and therefore can never be used to make "legal" DVD's, as well as the replication problem!

POST EDITED DUE TO TYPO!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Wilkes: I think you got it Backwords, It is the Minus Format that is Endorced By the DVD Forum Not the Plus Format....Cheers

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Minion - check your PM

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003