1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Exactly Is Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by illway, Oct 2, 2006.

1. illway

illway Member

I just saw a commercial on the TV, I couldn't remember what movie it was for. But I remember it saying, NOW on DVD and BLU-RAY, i just want more info on this rather than searching it up, i found that the information here is very useful, please help me with this, Everyones information is grately appreciated.

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Simply put, Blu-Ray (sometimes abbreviated BR or BD) and HD-DVD are competing high-definition formats. BD is technically better to the extent that it can produce a higher-capacity disc, while the HD-DVD format is arguably better in how it's been implemented thus far. Both will require that you re-purchase your entire movie collection, and will have such strict copy protection that you can forget about protecting your investment (and if the protection is ever broken, it'll be a very long time, and we'll probably be ready for another format change by then). I recommend buying an upconverting DVD player, keeping your existing DVD collection, and enjoying almost-hi-def.

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Dunker is right. Don't go into high def disc formats unless you're ready to be amazed. This hobby is not for the faint-hearted. Stick with regular DVD's and an upconverting DVD player if you're not sure.

5. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Here we go again. LOL!

Not true. I own around 20 HD-DVD's but I've seen about 40. Ever heard of Netflix? Of my 20 HD-DVD purchases only 5 are "double dips."

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  6. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Since when did Netflix allow to trade DVDs for HDs?

I think we're talking apples and oranges here. Or, really, the milked versus the won't-be-milked.

Perhaps I am missing something with Netflix. Please explain how I can have the 20 or so movies I presently own in HD-DVD or BD format without having to re-purchase them or pay extra.

7. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

8. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Renting is not the same thing as buying. If you're like most people, you're probably going to buy a collection of your favorites, even if a small one.

9. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

You just proved my point. If a movie is worth owning it's worth owning in the best format available - high definition 1080P. If you had a favorite music album would you be content if you already had the cassette? Of course not - you would also buy the CD.

10. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

11. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Hardly. With respect to Hi-def formats, you are simply playing the game of rebuying the same content over and over again, being milked like a cow. There's a point where smart people say, "enough." Especially when you have the rare opportunity for a compromise solution: The upconverting DVD player.

FWIW, I do own tapes and LPs, the latter being the "best format" as far as I'm concerned. I have made the mistake of repurchasinbg content once or twice on CD or DVD, but as I said before - I've had enough.

12. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

The upconverting DVD is exactly what you say it is: a compromise solution. For us who have experienced HD it's not enough anymore. We don't want a compromise when we can have the best.

13. error5

error5 Regular member

I like that - maybe I'll put it in my sig (with your permission.)

14. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

How about the studios re-releasing the same film on DVD over and over again? First you get the theatrical release version. A few months later you get the directors cut with added bonuses. Then a few years later they release the same film in a 2-disc platinum version with remastered sound etc. If it's a movie that you like then would you buy the same film on all versions on DVD?

Example - Scarface with AL Pacino:

1. Original Version

http://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Bria...ef=pd_bbs_3/002-9613254-8896810?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

2. Widescreen Anniversary Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Wide...ef=pd_bbs_2/002-9613254-8896810?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

3. Fullscreen Anniversary Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Scre.../ref=sr_1_4/002-9613254-8896810?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

4. Scarface Deluxe Giftset

http://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Delu.../ref=sr_1_5/002-9613254-8896810?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

5. Scarface Platinum Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Plat...ef=pd_bbs_1/002-9613254-8896810?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

All on DVD. Who's getting milked now?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  15. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

That sort of proves my point. The consumer is getting milked. Sure, the re-releases of enhanced versions are a form of milking unto itself - why not release initially at least a semi-enhanced version of Scarface - but some people are stupid enough to shell out $$$ for a few extras.

But that is completely digressing from the Hi-def formats. This is not about duping suckers into re-buying on the same format, DVD. This is about switching to an entirely new format and the eventual obsolescence of the old. DVD will eventually be phased out - regardless of consumers' wishes - the same way VHS and laserdisc were phased out. No doubt, regardless of whether BD or HD prevails, it will be phased out by another technology 5 or 10 years down the road. And what about the consumer? In the case of Scarface, if it's a movie you like, you've probably already bought it at least twice (DVD and VHS), and maybe as many as four or five times. That's called being a sucker.

A tangential but relevant issue is how a lot of the folks here on AD bitch about the influence of the entertainment lobby, particularly the RIAA and MPAA, yet are eager to fund those abuses by running out and buying up hi-def movies. The reason why these scumbags get away with the abuses they do is because too many consumers act like mindless cattle and support them financially.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the reason why consumers are treated like mindless sheep by the industry and politicians is because consumers ACT like them.

16. error5

error5 Regular member

Q: Who's getting milked now?

A: The poor shmuck with the upconverting DVD player!

17. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

@Dunker:

Your points are well taken. However, those are realities that are inherent in a capitalist, free-market society. Healthy and confident consumer spending is what drives and fuels our economy. The more we spend the more large companies spend on research and development. This is the way we see progress in this case in consumer electronics. We wouldn't see progress from VHS to DVD or from standard TV to HDTV if the industry wasn't fuelled by healthy consumer spending. Do you think the HVD Alliance would develop holographic disc technology if they knew they wouldn't make money out of it? Heck no!

The progress to HD disc formats is just a natural step in the grand scheme of CE technology. You can bitch about it all you like but I suggest letting the all powerful market forces take over. If you don't want to be a sucker then don't. Let them know your vote with your non-purchase. But remember this is a free democracy and those of us with disposable income are free to do with it any way we want. For now I vote for healthy spending and continued progress in consumer electronics.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  18. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

I think you guys totaly missed the point.
    It is great that you guys are discussing which is better, HD, DVD blah blah, debating like you should do in a civilised manner, but the original poster wanted to know what Blu-Ray was, not spark off a war.

19. JudyChick

JudyChick Member

What I don't understand is what this Dunker person has against BluRay or any other HD disc format. He comes in here bashing BluRay when obviously his beef is with the RIAA and the MPAA.

20. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Because, lady, it seems a little silly that one would repurchase the same thing over and over and over. While I do fundamentally agree with eatsushi (although I would like to see the industry and its content strongly regulated - what's good for the goose is good for the gander). While the studios do add enhancements, such as extras, commnentaries, HD format, etc. the copy of Scarface you buy on BD is still fundamentally the same movie that you bought on VHS.

You're right to some extent that I do not care much for the RIAA and MPAA and their abuses of consumer rights. But I do have a right to attempt to stop it by speaking up and discouraging others from being stupid and funding it further.

But, now's my turn to ask something of you: why is BD so important to you? Can't you find a better use for your money? Do you feel the need to run out an buy whatever's "new" even though what you already have works just fine?