1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what gives the best quality a video card or usb device for tranfering VHS To DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by diablo, Jun 4, 2004.

1. diablo

diablo Guest

i have a pentium 2 400 mhz with a dvd burner and a laptop pentium 4 without a dvd burner only cd burner..

what gives the best quality a video card or one of those usb devices that transfers vhs, tv, records to my hard drive? right now im going to transfer vhs to dvd but want a card or device that will do it all, vhs, tv shows, and albums.

i dont know if the pentium two is too slow but the desktop has my dvd burner, and cant change my video card in my laptop neither computer has a video capture card..

should i get a video card for my desktop or a usb device for my laptop but i dont know how to get a large file from my laptop to my desktop if i use my laptop to transfer my VHS to my laptop hard drive?

thats some of my problem but what gives the better quality a video card or one of those new usb devices that transfer video???

thanks

2. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Well,
    I would recommend a pci card for the pc.
    Many folks use there laptop for dvd burning or capturing, but I wouldn't recommend that.
    A laptop is not designed to dissipate the heat generated from dvd burning or authoring which takes a long time and is resource intensive. In time, it will take toll on the laptop.
    The pentium 2 400 probably can handle it, but how fast are you looking to complete each transfer and, the info thats being transfered has to be encoded to whatever format that will use.
    Also, a good capturing device will do compressing and will keep the quality of the picture and audio. WHich I think is important.
    This requires processing and memory power.
    If you are patient, the P2 will do.
    I would recommend a pci card capturing card by winnov. If you can cough up the bucks.
    They are very dependable and do a good job.
    http://www.winnov.com/products/capture/videum1000plus.htm

3. diablo

diablo Guest

is a capture card the same thing as a video card?

no i dont care how long it takes, i know my omputer will be slow but it beats out going and buying a brand new one.
    the video card will transfer the video but what transfers the sound onto my hard drive. my sound card is welded to my board so i cant attach any cablesnd card, do i have to get a sound card to or will the capture card do both video and sound?
    thanksfor the laptop info, i dont want to burn that puppy up

thanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Depending on how much the capture device/video card costs, either could be better than the other although i suspect that the good capture devices use firewire/usb2 rather than usb. In that case i'd reccommend a good PCI capture device (TV tuner, video card etc)

5. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

No a video card is not the same as a capturing card card.
    A video card displays video only. A capturing card does both.Well, the winnov does.
    Do your research, OK?
    A caputuring card will capture the info and depending on what its capable of doing, compress the info and encode to the desired format.
    Also, quality of the video/voice after capturing is important?

6. ceeplane

ceeplane Member

I have been looking at getting one of those "All 4 Wonder" cards, can this be used to "capture" VHS? Is this a good quality card? Thanx

7. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

I hear they are ok.
    Go to the winnov site and compare the specs. Thats what I'd do.
    Good Luck.