1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Guides Would You Like To See?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by vurbal, Jan 11, 2007.

1. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I like this idea. especially for the console forums because they mainly have a major issue always in them and if we have guides in there that would get rid of a large % of pointless threads started by newbies.

2. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

Glad somebody agress :)

3. GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Member

Would someone write a new updated version of the guide res2cue referred to in this quote?

Originally posted by res2cue:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this is the link

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/...th_clonedvd.cfm

however it has not been updated since AnyDVD started including a ripper in the program. If you have also AnyDVD you do not need any other of the programs mentioned in this guide.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

I would not mind writting a guide about setting up a No-IP DNS, since there seems to be a rather high need for it and I'm kind of tired of forward people to a really rought guide I wrote for a RuneScape server... I don't know how to go about submitting a guide for posting though, so I'd need to read more about it here or have some moderator contact me with the information. [UPDATE] Just found Verbal's link and I'll probably end up submitting some stuffs later.

I could also stand to write a finalized guide for setting up the RuneScape servers (two different types), that would be easier to read than the chaotic thread in which their currently posted...

In any case, I'm volunteering my knowledge for guides if anyone needs me.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  5. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Good plan to attack the runescape server issue there.

I was thinking about writing a clear guide for setting up a LAMP server but decided against because I didn't feel like fielding all the stupid questions from retards who can't be bothered to read.

I think guides should have their own section and be closed to prevent the great heap of stupid questions that always follow them...... with a link to a question and answer thread for comments/additions and valid questions, just like the news comments.

6. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Earlier there was a request on this thread for a guide that shows
    how to add a picture when you post a reply. If there is a link for
    this I could not find it in search. A guide for posting a signature
    might be included as well. Would also like to see info on the formats
    that are being used.
    Everything I could find talked about paint. Didn't see any info on
    photoshop.
    Some of the members do an outstanding job posting their pics. Would
    sure like to see input.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

[img*]http://i.my.afterdawn.com/standard/14578.jpg[/img*] -- This will show a picture.

WITH OUT THE (*)ADDED

EXAMPLE

[​IMG]

8. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Ireland: Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Finally figured out what step I was missing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  9. bo4135

bo4135 Member

Hello, I am lost & have no clue about this site, it looks like it will eventually be helpful, but it took me about 45 minutes to get this far. I am computer and internet literate, but these forums seem to be set up for experienced users.
    Please make a newbie guide or something for people like me that need help with something, but don't know how to use the site.
    I have read the rules and get the general idea, but searching for newbie stuff on how to use the site produced nothing.
    My internet connection is at the library or computer center and I don't have the time to search and hunt. It would be really helpful to have a guide prominently placed so it would be easy to find.
    Specifically, I have read the thread about DVD Xcopy platinum, but it is closed and I don't want to piss anyone off by asking a question about it where it doesn't apply.
    I am wondering about activation like all the rest, there were many answers saying 'see your PMs'. They may have been helped, but I can't tell. I have my id & pass, but need to know if anyone found a way to activate after closure of the company.
    I also have questions about Kubuntu linux, but I think I can junp in there ok, since it should have ongoing discussions.
    Thank you for your time, pationce and any help.
    bo4135

10. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Comprehensive AfterDawn usage guide: Part 1

11. bmannz

bmannz Member

DVDFab seems to be recommended a lot around this site and having just downloaded it i can tell you the help in there is hopeless - the buttons dont even have tooltips in them.

There is one AD fab platinum guide i can find but it is a bit thin:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/480846/2943243

Would it be possible to add a dvdfab section alongside shrink and nero in forums/software specific discussion ??

Thanks for the great site.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

The guide is thin because.. welllll.. there are only about 3 options in the whole program. It's pretty basic stuff.. Insert dvd.. chose copy or whatever.. with shrink or not.. and hit go. I used it one time and it was numbingly easy to navigate. Anybody who can't manage it should give up computers and get a job working at McD's (mop and paper thunderbirds hat FTW)

How about a 400 page guide to using the search function? Linked to the top of every section... and also compulsory link for EVERY post made by newbie before allowing posting..."Search mofo... Have you used it"? That would be good.. comments?

13. bmannz

bmannz Member

Thanks very much for your empassioned response!

I agree with you that DVD fab platinum 4.1.2.0 is pretty easy to drive - cyprusrom helpfully put me onto it two days ago after this discussion:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/656676

Having just come from a combination of dvd shrink, auto gk and subrip just to get one disk with subs down to my hdd - Fab's a piece of cake. HOWEVER for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the batching to work. I have read somewhere that you can load up to 5 disks and leave it running overnight (you can't run 6 & that was the problem the poster was having)

I understand why you guys (gals?) get so pissy about having to repeat yourselves every 5 minutes for the same question and that is why after fully reading the fab manual here at http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/

I spent plenty of time searching AD before posting the question. I am not 100% sure what it is called so I searched on "dvdfab" and "batch" "multiple disks" "overnight" "two disks" etc. When that got me nowhere I did two things:

In this thread on "what guides do you want to see" I asked if the fab guide could be expanded AND I suggested there be a dvdfab software thread created like the one you have for nero. This would concentrate the fab questions / info into one place and you may find the number of stupid ass questions posted all over the site dropping slightly?

Here is my challenge to you:

Find the answer to my question in under an hour using the search facility in AD and I will apply for that job at McDonalds.

Dont find the answer and you see if you cant get that fab thread setup for us retards.

You seem pretty influential around here from your other posts I have come across while searching, so it should be easy for you unless the thread would contravene the ruling set out by the Finnish government that is referred to in the news section & AD seem so rightly wary of.

p.s. Congratulations on image of the month, great use of depth of field.

14. varnull

varnull Guest

Now theres a challenge.. BTW.. The search mofo bit is an in joke here.. I'm waiting for some nice person to make a funny sammy jackson graphic of it.. just for the console kids who will ask a question answered in a sticky with the same title 20 times a day.:)

I'm sure the fab boys will take you up on the batch function part. Stick your request on the end of the guide. I don't use it, only set it up on other peoples machines. Can't help with something I don't use.. though given access to a windoze machine for a couple of hours I could probably write a script to do just that ;)
    It's something they don't even have on their main site.. so just possibly people are thinking about rebuilder instead?

You like my snap? It was a day of kinda cosplay/shock/vamp out and about near where I used to live. It's just a snap.. nothing special or intended to look clever.. cheap cameras do great things sometimes.. ain't autofocus the greatest?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008