1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Home theater to get ? Need advice plz

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by RMattacks, Jul 14, 2004.

1. RMattacks

RMattacks Member

Yesterday i had a home theater delivered and it is does everything i need except it does not decode anything in pro logic in TV mode - which is important to me. After being told a load of waffle by salesmen i decided to ask here.

I'm from uk and want to spend between 150-300 pounds (pound sign not working on keyboard :) ) and can buy online.

The features i want are 5.1 setup, DVDvid,dvd-ram,
    dvd-r,dvd audio, vcd, svcd, cd, cd-r/rw compatible. Would also like it to decode TV, Video and console games (ie in TV mode) into pro-logic 2.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated....

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Well, although the Multichannel Television Sound (MTS) standard does include DBX noise reduction (many tuners do not implement it!), it has no special provision for matrixed surround signal (ie. Dolby Surround).
    If the program broadcast is in Dolby Surround, it should still be in the stereo signal and able to be decoded.
    The problem is that TV audio is disgustingly low-fi, compressed, boosted, and commonly is 'simulated stereo' to give a stereo sound from mono program or commercial message.
    If the program is in stereo or Dolby stereo, they do not seem to know and they do not turn off the simulated phase-shifting bullshit.
    If a network cares, and tries to deliver top-quality audio, odds are that it will not reach you anyway, through all the cable company's processing BS, as above.
    There is good TV audio to be had, but you need a satellite (or even rooftop antenna) and a compliant MTS tuner to receive it.
    Your theatre either does ProLogic or it doesn't; if you are not getting separation from your TV audio, it is probably not the fault of the receiver/decoder in your theatre.
    Regards