1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what if.....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by brattboy, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brattboy

brattboy Member

Since the war between hd dvd and blu ray disc has been decided a month ago, and the winner is blu-ray format. we "consumers or viewers" have to dig deep in our pockets to buy the blu-ray format,
    buy drives,burner,disc and all sorts of mechanism to burn/copy blah,blah,blah....that would be a lot of money, which i beleive is not affordable to all...

What if we don't patronize the new format, let's be together on this and see what happens...nobody buys the new format or even rent it...

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Sounds good to me!

3. brattboy

brattboy Member

thanks iluvendo

come on people, let's not even buy the 25gig disc or the blu-ray burner, player or anything that's connected to blu-ray. let's abstain from even talking about it, maybe we can defeat it...let's stick to the old fashioned "dvd" ...more opinions... please ???

4. Hunt720

Hunt720 Member

Or instead of trying to be the Rosa Parks of Blu-ray we can instead focus on trying to crack the DRM and create easy methods of copying and backing up the discs. DVD's were pricey back in the late 90's. As technology progressed and DVD burners became more and more accessible, so did the methods of copying and backing these discs up. That process will help to drop the prices of the format along with giving us better access to its information. This coupled with the inevitable price drop that happens over time with various technologies will help to expedite the process.

I'm sorry, I just don't think enough people come to this site for a boycott to work. However this is BY FAR the best site on the subject!

5. brattboy

brattboy Member

thanks Hunt720

The "word boycott" will eventually spread like wildfire...Just Don'T Buy or Rent or Try to Discover How To Crack It.

If we patronized this "new format" then there will be no end to it...

Remenber the "boom box" it was big and bulky now it fits in your pocket, they now call it mp3 or some other name, but still gives us the same, "music".

They lost the war but they're winning in technology and we lost by spending to much of our hard earned money.

6. Hunt720

Hunt720 Member

I see what you are saying sir. I'm just not sure how to obtain these discs legally without doing one of the two. I mean, I could "borrow" them.... but then a friend of mine would be required to buy or rent it first... its almost as if I'd be buying or renting via proxy.

7. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

ok if we got a ripped copy from friend
    is it still illegal
    i heard they knew thru the proxy server or from the orignal that movie had been ripped

8. varnull

varnull Guest

But getting it from a friend still implies a purchace of a disk somewhere down the line..

Seems some people don't understand what "boycott" actually means here.

It means that you have nothing to do with the product.. or the content that is released on it or by it's supporters. Getting a ripped copy of the content defeats the object as you are not making the necessary sacrifice to make your protest. That's like saying "all cows are treated badly so I will boycott milk".. and then eating ice-cream. It contains milk, and therefore you are supporting the industry you are boycotting.

When you refuse something as a protest it means that you do without.. period!!

Otherwise you get some devils advocate like me come along and rip holes right through you ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2008
  9. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

First and foremost I sincerely Hope that Sony has to put Blu-rary where Batamax went

In the The real World

A user had posted that he copied a HD-DVD in SD the copy was good but the HD disk was sharper than the SD copy on a large TV He than used a Philip’s up conversion player and the result was in his opinion very good and with a moving picture impossible to see a difference and he would opt for this method. I don’t know the size of the TV screen he used.

I was not a great fan of up conversion but why not give it a try
    I followed the above process and used a 46”LCD TV and [my opinion] was that the result was very good
    Good enough to tell Sony where they can stick Blu-ray
    Blu-ray does have its advantages but not enough to Bow to Sony, Time Warner, Netflix or anyone else.
    Its not an issue of what’s better It becomes one of Sony telling me what I should buy and how much to Pay

10. brattboy

brattboy Member

thank you sir's for your valued opinioins/posting.

Boycott as i see it is totally ignoring it, we can stick to the old fashioned dvd disc since "they" are releasing both in regular and blu-ray format. Upconversion dvd players will actually enhanced your viewing of "old fashioned dvd" to like near blu-ray expirience w/out the added sub-menus of a blu-ray disc which in my opinion is annoying to a regular viewer unless you are studying to be a director/writer/special effect person.

So the point is 'ignore blu-ray disc"...period...

I owned an upconversion dvd player "---- 981"...sorry i mention this, but when i compare blu-ray movies watching at best buy and later wacthing at home w/ the same movie on the "old fashioned dvd" it's 95% mirror copy.

11. AFreak

AFreak Regular member

I love my Blu-rays and I plan to buy even more.

12. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

This is amazing!!

These people here claim to be AV enthusiasts but they refuse to purchase a product just because it is made by Sony. Sounds immature to me. If you are a true AV enthusiast wouldn't you want HD material no matter what medium it is distributed on? I enjoy the HD movies for what they provide me... A crisper more detailed picture, superior cinema like sound etc.. Does Blu-ray provide this? Well... Of course the answer is yes!

I often see complaints that the Blu-ray project is messy and incomplete. I do agree with that to some extent but I also believe it is in a stage where we can completely enjoy the new format. Now, what I find ironic is that the same people that make these statements are also the ones that say... Hey! Let's boycott Blu-ray and not buy anything or support that product at all. Which leaves me with the question, how are Sony ever going to be able to develop the Blu-ray project without consumer support providing them with more cashflow?

To be completely honest, this type of post isn't welcome in the Blu-ray section on Afterdawn, why don't you post this in the HD-DVD section where all your other friends are?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  13. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.