1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is a coax cable ???

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by si1entbob, Jul 27, 2006.

1. si1entbob

si1entbob Member

hi i want to conect the coax cable from my dvd player to my amp ... do i need to buy a specil cable to do this or can i strip a red/white/yelow phono lead off and use that ???
    thinks in advance chris

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yes, you can use a regular RCA cable...I never thought you could but recently found out otherwise.

3. si1entbob

si1entbob Member

will there be any loss of quality ??? is it beter to buy a dedicated cable ???

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

No there won't be loss of quality...provided it is a good cable. Its foolish, in my opinion, to go out and spend $75.00 for a monster RCA cable but at the same time, cheapy cables will have a bad effect on sight or sound. You can get good cable without having to spend a fortune...the better radio shack cables are fine and I say the "better" ones because they also sell the cheapy ones there. You needn't buy monster or other rediculouly overpriced cables, but you need good quality cables. Ced (Diabolos) in the displays forum posted some interesting info about cables and Ced knows his stuff. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Chris ... hold off for a bit, I want to double check something as I don't want to misinform you. You see, RCA is simply a type of analog connection device but 75ohm coax is the cable to which its connected. While the connector may be the same with your phono plug, it doesn't necessarily mean that the cable is 75ohm coax and quality would suffer if it isn't. Let me research something and get back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2006
  6. si1entbob

si1entbob Member

thank you for going to all this effort to help me out. your help is gr8ly appreciated

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  8. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

From what I've heard from over @ the AVS Forum (home of a bunch of audio & videophiles) they say a good; reliable place to get cables from is monoprice.com......I've looked at their cables; and IMO they look pretty good.....

9. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member