1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a good DVD player for backups?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by cdharris, Jan 19, 2005.

1. cdharris

cdharris Member

I have backed up several movies using DVD Decrypter, DVD2One and Nero. They all seem to play well enough on my 2 year old Sony DVD Player. I have had a few that seemed to "skip" or "hang." However, I recently tried to play several of my backups while on vacation and could not get any of them to play without problems. The player was a Panasonic. Each time I tried to play a backup, I would get a "Format Error" message or it would just "hang" and never play. I was about to buy a new progressive scan DVD player and now I am worried and want to be sure that the new player will play my backups. What DVD players do you reccomend that you know play these backups without problem? Does this have something to do with the "error correction" ability I see listed in the specs of some DVD players?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

My suggestion:

Buy an "el Cheapo" Cyber-Home ($39.90 USD), it will play a mushroom pizza (if the cheese isn't too thick (Lol))

The new players just aren't a problem. Players over 1 1/2 yrs old begin to not recognize discs or even burned backups as opposed to pressed discs. The more expensive the player, the worse it seems to play (Go figure ? ?).

For the price, how can you ever go wrong ?

Cheers,

Pete

3. CapnHowdy

CapnHowdy Guest

hi dudes..im from puerto rico and though im new here,...i've read a lot of information you all have posted and this is the place i come when im in need of counseling for my 'digital emergencies'...im a freak of ripping and backing dvd's,...so i will add my two cents every now and then only when i feel i can help...about the forgotten,...i used dvddecrypter to rip it and worked well until i went to burn it..the file was waaaaaaayyy too big...so i went to dvdshrink and opened the file of the forgotten and shrinked it...i only unchecked the thai and french subtitles( i dont know thai or french, what the heck)and the french audio and voilá..success...so if this helps any other one, i'll be more than glad...and thankful to have guys like all of you around when im in need,...lol...see ya soon...

4. CapnHowdy

CapnHowdy Guest

sorry, the above message belongs to another thread...i believe a good dvd player is one cheap or affordable by you...i have three...an Apex 1500 and an Apex 1200 and a Sony 975...they all work lovely...specially the Apex ones...

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Just a note:

I recommended a cheap player because no matter how much $$$$ you spent on a player you purchased 2 years ago, you'll have trouble now-a-days with certain of our newer discs and DVD's.

The more time goes by, the more difficulty you should expect as the technology changes. There's no way to do a "Flash upgrade" to a standalone player. Why spend a lot of $$$ when it isn't necessary when the cheap stuff will do it all ?

"P"