1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is better?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by nownthen, Feb 18, 2005.

1. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Is it better to leave your computer on or turn it on and off at least once a day (for the night not just a few seconds or something).

Please give a little reason to why if you would.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

me, if not using the computer than it is off as waste of electricty & if it was going to fail with all the on & offs it would have done that within the 1st 6 months which is still in the warranty period. i haven't lost a computer yet this way in 21 years & hopefully not for another 21 years. also leaving the computer on all the time drains the system resources/performance

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Mine stays on pretty much 24/7. I only shut it off when I leave the house for extended periods and that's not often. I reboot daily though.

Some say leaving it on all the time wears your components out faster and others say that all the spinning up/spinning down is harder on your components. I honestly don't think it makes much difference either way.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Turn it Off --- !! Smiles !!

One reason why you might want to turn it off is economic. A typical PC consumes something like 300 watts. Let's assume that you use your PC for four hours every day, so the other 20 hours it is on would be wasted energy. If electricity costs 10 cents per kilowatt-hour in your area, then that 20 hours represents 60 cents a day. Sixty cents a day adds up to $219 per year.

If you want to leave it on because you are worried about components stress -"" The cycle of heating and cooling causes thermal stress in the components that make up the PC, and is a leading cause of system failure (this is also what normally causes light bulbs to fail, which is why they usually pop when you turn them on, and not out of the blue). ""- At Least keep the monitor off for safety and to prevent wearout.

Regards !