1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is C1/PIE and C2/PIF?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Synthetix, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

This is wut happened. I backed up a dvd i had using decrypter and shrink. Since it has been only my 3rd backup, i decided to change the settings to see the difference. I unclicked the both boxes that are suppose to improve quality of the video. Well, I was amazed cuz the ripping time went from 1.5hrs to 20min! I was reading on the forums about checking for errors, so I downloaded NERO CD-DVD Speed. I don't have nero software, so i don't know if it's giving me the tru specs. I tested the back up, and it asks me if my dvd writer has c1/PIE and C2/PIF. And if it doesn't to unclick them so the test will not come out w/extra errors. How do I know if my drive has these? What is this? I tested my backup and it had over 20,000 PI errors and PO errors, dats cuz it was only about 10% done. I checked it on my DVD player, and it starts off good, but i did a scene selection towards the end, and dats where I can see the damage. It does not play, it glitches, etc.....

I guess the media has also to do with it: I bought Maxell DVD+R , a 3 pk just to test out my drive. I just ordered the 100pk TY 4x from mediastore.com. Any replies are greatly appreciated. Thanx

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

what kind of burner do you have?

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

4. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

oh, my drive is not there:

HP 640i
    Windows XP

I ran a test on another backup, which I had copied in full disk mode and had clicked both of the boxes that give u higher quality video. It took about 2hrs. The test results came out to 0 PI Failures, 0 PO Failures, and 11725 PI Errors. Maybe my drive is not supported. Is there another program out there that I may use? Thanx

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

not for pi/pif testing. your drive must be able to report the errors. you can do a surface scan or a transfer rate test. the transfer rate test is almost as reliable as the error test. just look for a nice rounded curve with no reading slowdowns for a good burn :)

6. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

thanx KChev