1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHAT IS HIGH SPEED USB?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by aerophil, Aug 21, 2004.

1. aerophil

aerophil Member

I bought a new Sonic DVD burner and when trying to copy a movie onto a DVD-R, I got a message that said the USB port is not a high speed USB port. I went ahead and copied the movie onto the DVD but it doesn't work. What do I have to do? It am using a HP laptop with Windows XP, which has 2 USB ports.

Ken

2. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Newer computers have USB 2.0 connections (sometimes just called "high speed"); it sounds like your computer has USB 1.1 or even 1.0 connections. You CAN upgrade the connection on a desktop computer (I did this a few months ago on mine) but I'm not sure about a laptop.

Before I upgraded to USB 2.0, I could still rip, encode, and burn, it just took a LOT longer, especially the encoding part. To give you an idea, with USB 1.1 ripping/encoding would normally take 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours and burning would take an additional 1-1/2 hours or so; with USB 2.0, ripping/encoding can be as fast as 5-6 minutes (if it's a DVD-5) up to about 1-3/4 hours if it's a huge DVD-9, then burning with 4x discs takes 15 minutes max. So the burning time went down significantly, and the ripping/encoding time went down a bit too.

Even with my old USB 1.1 connection, the DVDs I burned still worked. So it may not be your port that's the issue. Did you use good media? What did you use to rip/encode? What burning program did you use? Did you get a "successful burn" message at the end? Are you trying to play a DVD-R disc in a standalone player that only plays DVD+R discs? As you can see, there are lots of possible reasons the DVD doesn't work. Please give us more details on exactly what you did and we can be more helpful.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Karen H.--Dell Optiplex GX240, P4 1.50ghz, 256mb RAM (yeah, I need more), Windows XP Pro w/SP1, 20gb c: drive, 128gb f: drive, 105gb j: drive, Sony DDU1621/C1 DVD-ROM to rip/encode, Sony DRX-530UL to burn[/small]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I suspect it is trying to tell you that you have a USB2 device connected to a USB1 port. USB2 is up to 40x quicker than USB1. Whether or not USB1 can transfer the data you want quickly enough I know not, but it could be a problem. Also what software are you using on your laptop to view the dvd with - sonic? What media are you using?

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Karen2003, you beat me to it! Mind you, your post is far more informative than mine!

5. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Funny! That's happened to me before too. :)

Aerophil, hope you got something helpful from both of us!

6. aerophil

aerophil Member

Yes, all the answers were helpful. I used the software that came with the Sonic DVD burner. I am sure it is a high speed one, but the laptop might be a slower one. It is about two years old. It is at my son's house, so I will have to check it. I have a USB Card 32 bit CardBus 2.0 from another laptop, so I will try using that.

I was burning to DVR-R disk, 4X speed.

Ken

7. viper64

viper64 Guest

I thank karen is right. Aerophil If this is a new burner Im suprised it does not have backwards compatibility with a USB 1.O OR 1.1.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member