1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Mhotkey purpose?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by geestar20, Sep 1, 2004.

1. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I recently downloaded Micro$oft SP2 and all went well, except that when the system restarted i got this message saying "Abnormal termination of program" which was -Mhotkey-

This is what I found out about this.

This utility seems to get installed with the software that comes with the type of keyboards called "Internet keyboards", and in most cases is associated with an icon in the System Tray. It would seem that its purpose is to enable the end-user to program certain key combinations or function keys to do specific tasks, or access specific sites, while browsing the Internet. We do not know much more than that, except that in many instances a bug in the software prevents the use of the keyboard in DOS session windows !!

Recommendation :
    Either uninstall the keyboard software which installed this program (via the "Add/Remove Programs" icon in the Control Panel), or disable it with The Ultimate Troubleshooter (this is some program they want you to buy). It is better to use the Netscape Bookmarks or Toolbar Buttons feature, or Internet Explorer’s Favorites, than expose yourself to a program which seems quite buggy.

The thing is (Im assuming) if I go into add/remove programs and uninstall Multimedia Keyboard Driver (again im assuming since this is the only thing in the add/remove programs that say's keyboard) is this going to disable my keyboard?

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

It wont stop you using your keyboard, if you have any special keys, eg volume control on the keyboard etc they wont work.

Try uninstalling, intstall SP2 then resinstall Keyboard Drivers.

CJC

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I had to reinstall and uninstall SP2 twice already since to first time was my fault and this will be the second. I know once I uninstall SP2 this will solve my problem since this happend the first time and I uninstalled SP2 and this "Abnormal termination of program" went away. It restored my old settings.

Ill try some things out but all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for all replies.

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Let give a quick post:

I went into add/remove prgrams uninstalled "Multimedia Keyboard Driver" and my "Abnormal termination of program" went away. And I can still use all my hotkey's on my keyboard. Wierd din't you think ?