1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is minimum cheapest mod for HDD replacement?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by elcapitan, Jun 1, 2004.

1. elcapitan

elcapitan Member

Hi guys,

M$ really has me pissed off. I need a new hard drive, but noooo, it can't be that easy.

So I am entering the world of mods for the first time.

All I want to do is replace a completely dead hard drive (I know its the drive and not the PS or cable).

Please help me take the first step. (Money IS an object.) I am not afraid to solder, etc.

Thanks.

Update: I have found an X-Ecuter 2.3B Lite for $34. It has the linux Cromwell pre-flashed.

Questions: Are the tools available for this chip & bios to format and lock a new HDD? Or do I need to re-flash the modchip with a hacked bios? (thanks again for the help)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  2. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

firstly you did very well for the modchip price
    follow tutorials on team xecuter homepage or xbox-scene etc. Then get a "hacked" bios (xbins is the best place)
    get xbox bios manager make a bios , (tutorials all over for this)
    then get an auto installer such as little jonnys etc (pm me if you need to know where to get it, you will need an irc client such as mirc)
    then for a great price on a hdd, goto ebay, thats where I got my last one from 80gb seagate 5400 rpm for $35
    the auto installer will install everything you need. Make sure you burn the auto installer to a readable (for your dvd drive) media type.

3. elcapitan

elcapitan Member

Thanks, djboogie, you're just the person I was hoping to hear from: I saw one of your posts on a different forum (it was packed with great info) and you said you hang out here, which is how I found this place.

I look at your answer as a road map across the U.S. drawn on a 8 x 11 sheet of paper. This is just what I needed, an overview of the length of the journey I am embarking on. (I'm actually looking forward to it!)

Modchip Question - The X-Ecutor [bold]PRO[/bold] has a parallel port for flashing (and reflashing). Should I spend the extra $20 and get that one?

4. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

5. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

o and dont buy a PRO its a waste of money, internal programer=pointless, you can flash with cromwell flash BIOS(with a cd) and then reflash using evox.

6. elcapitan

elcapitan Member

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - !

An "exploit" eh? I've heard of them but I didn't know they would include something like replacing a dead hard drive.

I still plan to get a mod chip someday (I think hacking is in my genes), but now is not a good time for me to spend the money.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Uh-oh... I just read the tut and I'm confused already. Don't I need a working xbox for this exploit? It mentions editing EvoX in Step 1 and I have a plain jane xbox v1.0 showing Error 7 on boot up.

But I don't want to go too far off topic in this thread, where would you guys suggest? I sure appreciate the help you've given me so far.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  7. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

icarbutt is completely right, if youre not into development etc, the pro is pointless.
    If youre handy at soldering, get an xecuter2 lite, theyre quite a bit cheaper than the pogo pin xecuter 2 lite plus, and soldering your chip is WAYYYYY better.

8. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

You can do this without a mod chip. That is $0. You do need some tools though. e.g. soldering iron, solder, screw drivers. And it's a long winding road...

9. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

modchip is the easiest way
    and $35 aint much
    especially as if you mess up, its just the chip, not the mo/bo
    Its easier to rectify a bad flash modchip (do a hotswap or use a programmer)than a screw up tsop

10. elcapitan

elcapitan Member

Thanks, djboogie, I took your advice. But I am having a spot of trouble... described in a separate post.