1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is MP3x

Discussion in 'Audio' started by itc021, Oct 18, 2006.

1. itc021

itc021 Member

I have been given an album by a friend in MP3x format. he said that they need to be played through a specific player on the PC, however, I really wanted them to go into my portable MP3 player.

Can anyone please tell me what MP3x actually is and is there anyway to convert them to standard MP3?

Thanks

Ste

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I need more info, such as the album, a sample file name with extension, etc.

MP3x is apparently an analyzer for MP3 that enables higher compression. It may also be a proprietary format i.e. don't play them with whatever "specific player", especially if it's some crap you have to download or you have to sign up for some service in order to do it.

It may be that they're DRMed files, hence they "have to be played on a specific PC". If that's the case, the album isn't worth the plastic disc it's on as they are married to that PC.

3. Evilblo

Evilblo Member

Ummm, yeah right. You downloaded a song from the Russian mafia at Allofmp3 and its in the mp3x format and you can't load it on or play it on anything but the PC that has the propietary player on it. RIAA is watching you.

Evilblo

4. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

Where exactly did you get this idea from? If you have nothing of importance to say, stay out of this thread!

5. Evilblo

Evilblo Member

Tell me I'm wrong first and then perhaps....

6. Evilblo

Evilblo Member

And the idea comes from following the battle between RIAA and the AllofMP3 who just went free because Visa International cut off all services to them. That and allofMP3 is only allowing users access via their own software and the fact that all of their songs are in MP3x format. That's where.

7. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I checked allofmp3.com and there is no indication that any proprietary software is needed. The only thing they DO do - and this is freakin' brilliant, and why they look to be the best site around - is before you download they offer to encode the music you are purchasing into a particular format you desire - specificially, they allow you to encode it into a lossless format prior to download, rather than get stuck with crappy, compromised, lossy formats like MP3 and WMA. That's all done sever-side, so you don't need any special software.

8. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

Where in the hell did you get these ideas from? There isn't an ounce of truth to any of your comments.

9. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  10. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

I believe we are talking about two completely different beasts here. When you purchase & download a file from allofmp3.com, you recieve an mp3, ogg, mpc, or wma file that you can do whatever you wish with. That music for the masses thing that you show a link to allows you to apparently download files that you can only listen to through their player on your computer. Only after you sign in. I'm not exactly sure why you would want to do that. When you become a member of allofmp3.com you can download a music explorer that you can listen to any of the songs that they have in it's entirety without having to sign into anything. So I don't see the advantage to it. How was the friend able to put them on a CD?

Get Audacity & have it record while you play the files.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  11. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

So you buy the music rather than be tied to the free stuff. This is capitalism at it's best. I'll happily buy non-DRMed hi-quality music rather than have free DRMed shit any day. LET THIS BE A LESSON TO THE MPAA!

12. Evilblo

Evilblo Member

But alas, the days of purchasing music from allofmp3 are near to an end. As I said earlier, they have been cutoff by visa international and will be going to a free format very soon. With that change, comes dreaded implementation of DRM via mp3x and the propietary player.

As i believe was posted earlier..

No visa, no way to pay, DRM all the way.

13. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

This is why I DON'T buy music online. I still buy CDs, and when they're gone, my days of music-buying are over.

14. itc021

itc021 Member

Wow, this has turned into an interesting thread!

Firstly thanks to everyone who has helped with their comments.

Evilblo, you should try to understand that not everyone here is as up to date on current affairs of the music industry and all the dodgy sites around. Some people actually want to learn and understand, that is why we are here… You should not be so suspicious and try to understand that….. Or maybe just get yourself away from your PC and get laid!

Digidave, the files that I have were not on CD and were on a USB Pen drive when I copied them to my PC. Thanks for the idea of Audacity, I will try this.

Thanks
    Ste

15. shadaros

shadaros Member

I thought I should join the thread here to stop the hate on my favorite music site. Here's the truth about allofmp3...

There are two ways currently to use allofmp3:

Pay for the downloads, and get it in any format and bitrate you want. This is an uncrippled, DRM free copy of whatever you buy. You can get it in MP3, OGG, WMA, MPC, etc. You just pay for the filesize. Once you download it, you can do whatever you want with it. Burn it to CD, put it on your iPod, whatever. It's yours. This is the way AllOfMP3 operated before the current Visa problems, and they still offer it.

Get any of the same music for free. The music comes in a file extension of MP3x, a proprietary format from AllMyMP3. It must be played through their player, MusicForMasses. No ripping is possible, since nothing else seems to be able to play it, at least yet. Apparently, there's ads, but I haven't seen any yet from it. At least that I can tell. The entire catalog is available. You are limited to MP3 in fixed 128 kbps. Hopefully they'll boost that if the service becomes popular, but they seem to be pushing you to purchase the album, so doubtful.

What's there to not like? You can still download it free and clear if you pay for it, like before, and now you can listen for free on the computer if you're not sure, or just want some free tunes.

16. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@itc021
    I would lay off of bothering evilblo. I will admit though that evilblo could have been more tactful but you could have been more tactful to
    Also itc021, the .mp3X files you downloaded/got from a friend the will only play if you use the "Music For Masses" player they offer. And you must also have a membership/account at www.allofmp3.com. So to even listen to this music you need to make yourself an account and download the "Music For Masses" player.

17. Fiji5555

Fiji5555 Member

18. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If everyone uses these cracks 1 of 2 things will happen...
    1)AllofMp3 will update MusicForMasses to "fix" the program

OR

2)AllofMp3 will stop letting people listen to music for free with MusicForMasses.

Dont bite the hand that feeds.

19. shadaros

shadaros Member

I tend to agree. It's not like the player is THAT bad. Besides, if AllOfMp3 ever stops the program, you can crack them then, if you really feel the need. It's not like they have to be cracked now.

Also, while the DRMed songs are probably legal (russian imports and all that, same reason buying from AllOfMp3 is probably legal), cracking the DRM definately is not, at least in the US, due to the DMCA.