1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Slot 1 and what is Slot 2

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by rdxtreme, Jan 25, 2007.

1. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

I do not have DS so which slot is classified as slot 1? the gba port or the nds port. Just list devices and their slots, thanks :)

which modifier (flashcart something) fits in which slot, does a passme have anything to do w/ that?

*confused*

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Slot-1 is the DS game port, Slot-2 is the GBA/Expansion Port

Slot-1 Backup Devices:
    M3 DS Simply
    R4 DS
    Supercard DS
    EZ-FLASH5
    Ninjapass X9TF

Slot-2 backup Devices:
    M3 Perfect (CF/SD/MiniSD/Lite)
    M3 Pro (MiniSD/Lite)
    Supercard (CF/SD/MiniSD/Lite/Rumble)
    EZ-Flash IV

For a Slot-2 device to play NDS games and homebrew you need a Pass or NoPass device in the top slot.

Slot-1 Pass Device:
    The follwoing only work on very old original DS's before firmware 3, and need an original game to work.
    - PassMe
    - Passkey
    - Superpass

Slot-1 Pass2 Device:
    The next few work on all DS and DS Lite consoles, and need to be programmed with the original game info they are connected to.
    - PassMe2
    - Passkey2
    - Superpass2

Slot-1 NoPass Device:
    The final round are the newest and need no original game or programming to work, they are also the size of a normal DS cart
    - Passcard3
    - Superkey
    - EZPASS-3

Therre are LOTS of other out there, but these are the more well known products.

3. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

can any slot 1 devices play GBA.. like is there a slot-2 passcard like thing

anyway, can a slot 1 device play GBA and does the file system need to be partitioned in a way for NDS and GBA blah blah is there anything special i need.

I'm thinking about getting the R4

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

No slot-1 device can play GBA games, and unless a hack comes out that lets the DS run GBA code from slot-1 there isn't going to be any device that can.

No special formating or partitioning is needed for NDS games to run, though it seems that FAT16 64k cluster size improves performance of slower cards when using a slot-2 based M3.

5. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

hmm..

So MAINLY for unlimited multiplayer and download play capabilities for people w/ unmodded DS' I will be getting the R4 which uses slot-1

now what would be a cool GBA only card... would you recommend the M3 because it can play sms , gg and other old systems?

6. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

i know the m3 can play ds also but that won't be its purpose if I got one and had an R4

7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

An M3 would be a good choice for GBA games, but you may also want to look into older GBA only flashcarts, I was never in the scene when these were around though so cannot give any info on them.