1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best 5.1 audio container?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ivymike, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

I have a question, What is the best 5.1 surround sound audio container? Which one allows 192 KHz encoding and what about 300+ Kbs bitrate? Are these 5.1 compatible?

Thanks in Advance.

2. hermes_vb

hermes_vb Regular member

I'm just an audio enthusiast, not an expepert, but I don't think there's such thing. The best audio I've come across with is DTS 96/24 (96 KHz/24 bit).

3. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

Is there a software program that will upconvert .MP3 files to .DTS?
    What program will play .DTS files?

4. hermes_vb

hermes_vb Regular member

I don't know if it can be done. Anyway, I don't know why you want to upconvert MP3 files. Once you've got a lossy audio format, you can never get the original quality back no matter what format you convert to.

PS I use Foobar2000 with some plugins to playback some DTS audio I have in my computer.

5. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

OK, is there a program that will rip CD or DVD audio tracks to .DTS?

6. hermes_vb

hermes_vb Regular member

You can do it in various ways. You can rip your DVD to Hard Drive and then DeMux it. That way you end up with separated video files and audio files. Personally, I use DVD Audio Extractor. Works like a charm for me.

PS What are you trying to accomplish? In other words, why do want to do it?

7. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

I was referring to DVD-Audio DVD's. I am looking for 5.1 Surround Sound playback on my computer. I have my eyes set on buying a set of 5.1 headphones as well as an affordable 5.1 set of speakers that are designed specifically for 5.1 computer audio output. I am getting tired of the two channel / 44-48 KHz sound that mp3 offers. I am looking for a 92-192 KHz capable 5.1 audio format. This will require software tools that will rip Audio CD's and DVD-Audio discs to a 5.1 surround lossless format with 92-192 KHz range as well as convert older audio formats to this format as well. This is for my personal enjoyment only.

8. hermes_vb

hermes_vb Regular member

OK now we are talking. Well, like I said before, when you upconvert you will never truly achieve better sound. Now about DVD-Audio that's another story. I've never dealt with DVD-audio before. I just rip the audio of my Concert DVD's so I can put play it in my iPod.

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It isn't possible to "rip" DVD-Audio discs and if it was possible it would still be illegal.

If you want excellent surround sound use a lossless codec that supports 5.1 surround sound like FLAC.

Ced

10. hermes_vb

hermes_vb Regular member

Yeah FLAC is great. I have all my CD Collection backed up to FLAC, but only Stereo not 5.1.

@Diabolos

I didn't know DVD Audio was unrippable. Why is that if you don't mind satisfying my curiosity.

11. JVC

JVC Active member

You can get an Audigy 2 sound card for your computer, and it supports dvd-a surround music discs. You'll also need a player that supports it, and they're not free. I never found a free one anyway. I use WinDVD as my player(found here:http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp), because it supports and plays dvd-a, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS sound in movies and music. It won't encode to 5.1, but will decode the 5.1 signals already on the discs.

Programs that will [bold]encode to 5.1 surround[/bold], costs thousands of dollars, and are meant for professional studios. There is software that will take a stereo signal(mp3)and encode it so pro logic processors will play it in a simulated surround, through all your speakers. I think this software will do that: http://www.aud-x.com/
    This software sounded interesting. If you work with it any, report back and let us know how it does?
    Good luck!