1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best cable box around ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by jammy2007, Nov 16, 2007.

1. jammy2007

jammy2007 Member

Hi Guys

I am fairly new to posting on forums and a newbie when it comes to the technical side of cable boxes. I am looking to purchase a cable box and would like other members to give me advice on which one to buy! I am looking to buy in the next few weeks. I have done some research on the internet so I know the basics i.e what's available and the average prices and compatibility etc.
    What is the best value for money?
    Which is the easiest to set up ?(plug and play)
    Is a Linux based box better to have ? anyone have any news on nagra encryption?
    These are the sort of things I would like opinions on.

Thanks in advance for your posts?

Jammy2007

2. saxobabe

saxobabe Member

"Thebox", is best and available on ebay. roughly £70-90 with postage.
    Easy to use, UK sellers so easily to contact and fix problems if needed.
    Dbox etc are 100% hard work i've read the forums and all people have is problems. The basic Dbox on ebay/net is not what you want as it needs lots of programs software put into the dbox for your area. It'll give you a headache.
    Thebox is for anyone and everyone. Simple and fool proof. Plug it in and away you go.

3. jammy2007

jammy2007 Member

Do you own "The Box", Saxobabe?. Have you tried other boxes? I have done a fair bit of research on the Internet and it's quite funny as people have their own favourite and tend to say thats the best(i'm not saying that "The Box" isn't) As an impartial, as I dont own a box yet(will buy in the next 2 weeks) I have to look at the overall picture. From my findings it appears that the ITGate 220 or Dreambox seems the best, of course it is important to buy from a good dealer who offers good support.

4. cueboy

cueboy Member

I have iTgate 220, nice box. more future proof than starview/Eurovox as it's linux based.

5. saxobabe

saxobabe Member

I've had a starview, and now got thebox. I've also order a Dbox from ebay via germany. been reading the threads and think i've got a crap dbox with only freeview channels. So i guess it will sit on the shelf and gather dust.
    I bought the starview & thebox from the same supplier, got his moby number, emails and if i have trouble i call and its sorted within 1-2 days at most. very reliable.
    So i would say thebox is better, but if you haven't tried something else then you cant judge.
    But i paid £72 for thebox and well i will definately get my moneys worth.

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

The best box is simply the one that you are comfortable with in regards to outlay, ease of setup and viewing experience.

7. jammy2007

jammy2007 Member

Good point sc0user! The thing is you dont want to buy them all to find out! I might just bite the bullet and get an ITGate 220, it will cost more than the Starviews etc but will be futureproof incase encryption changes also has a USB port for connection to an external hard drive.

What box do you have sc0user?

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

A lot of different ones. If you are comfortable with a linux box go for it. But in terms of futureproof the Itgate is not the only one any linux or in many cases non linux boxes are fine with the correct firmware. Plug and play Eurovox is a good choice, but a linux box will have more support.

9. saxobabe

saxobabe Member

Scouser,

I have just been given a Nokia Dbox and clueless with it.
    Is there any chance you can help me?
    I have telewest connection which is cable, the box i have is :::

Nokia Dbox with remote for satellite TV

MULTIMEDIA TERMINAL DVB BY NOKIA

flashed with latest DVB2000 Software (english Version)

receives all digital tv and radio channels from any satellite !

settings already installed (over 3000 channels)

Astra 19,2° / Astra 28,2° / Hotbird 13° and many more

Box is stable in debug mode, so you can change the software and the settings.

100 % tested and fully working. The lcd display has no pixel errors

I have no experience or knowledge at all with the Nokia Dbox so need an idiots guide on how to set up etc.
    Any help is appreciated.

from a fellow scouser! c'mon you reds!!

10. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sorry but that is a satellite version of the Dbox that you have and has a DVB-S tuner, you are on cable and require a DVB-C box, (see you said you already have a Starview), so all is not lost. Sorry for the bad news.

11. reeso

reeso Guest

hi jammy2007

The best box has got to be the Dreambox 500-c cable receiver, I have had one for about a year now and i have to say it is still fantastic, I got mine from The Dreambox Store UK, They are quick, Helpful and see to your every needs, got to www.thedreamboxstore.co.uk, They are based in the uk aswell so you wont have any problems,

12. jammy2007

jammy2007 Member

Hi Reeso

I 'bit the bullet' last week and bought an itgate tgm 220. I find it very good and got the boxing on Saturday night aswell!. The only probs I have had is minor pixelations but this is probably due to the signal coming in (I also have broadband through the same splitter)They are similar boxes in spec but I am looking forward to playing around with it to see exactly what it can do.

13. bigdunc

bigdunc Regular member

In the settings Try changeing In the AV settings
    Try changing from CVBS to RGB For best Itgate pic.................Paul

14. jammy2007

jammy2007 Member

Thanks. When I setup I selected RGB as my default. I presume this is saved from now or do I need to go into av settings every now and then?. Any other itgate tips for a newbie?

15. dreamboxc

dreamboxc Member

you can buy dreambox 500c cale receiver,it is good cable receiver.I have bought one,it is work to me very good.

16. cityboy36

cityboy36 Member

hi lads just wondering if any1 can help me with this box ITGATE TGM 220 does it have on demand and is it better than a d box 2

17. jammy2007

jammy2007 Member

By on demand do you mean the Sky Movie channels you would normally have to pay extra for? It is a very good machine as I have watched some good programmes (ppv Boxing, Sky Movies - All channels, All sport channels inc Setanta sports & sky sports) need any other info?

18. Higg07

Higg07 Member

Ive had the Nokia D box 2 for about 3 or 4 years. its never let me down, have all channels and all have greate pics. my make have a dreambox and his sky sports 1 and movies have terrible pics .

so id say Dbox all the way