1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best Cd-r to use for a SVCD?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by 50Barz, Jul 18, 2003.

1. 50Barz

50Barz Member

What is the best brand of CD-R to use to make a SVCD?
    and does it matter if the bottom is black or gold or silver or blue etc.
    Because on my DVD player when i put a Black cd it says no disc but when i put a Gold cd it plays fine

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Never seen a black CD before. Anyway the thing is that any CD that will record audio OK will record an SVCD OK too. There is no specific CD make that is best - just use one you know records audio well.

3. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

I have tried all Different colors of media, but I do agree with Discmania make sure it is a Cd that is made for Audio not Data.. I Prefer

1. Silver/Silver Cds (Silver Bottoms)
    2. Black Diamond Cds (Black Bottoms)
    3. Kodak Gold Cds (Gold Bottoms)("Very Hard To Find")

These are my Favorite Choices of Cds I use. But I should also state that these play very well in my Dvd Players. You should check here to see what works best for your Player.
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

4. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

In answer to the thread question : One that produces a low error rate, works on your DVD-player (or whatever), and has been shown not to die in a month. TY or Mitsui fit that for me.

In your case, you've kind of answered your own question; if Gold CD's play fine, stick with them :)

@Discmania : Do you have any evidence of this? Any disc that records any Audio ok will record anything ok - data, vcd, whatever. If it dies on one thing, it will die on all!

@Labrat : You agree? But why? Are you on about Consumer Audio discs, that were meant to be Recorded in standalone CD recorders, such as the Philips 779 / 796? Because those discs are rated 4x and below, and they error rate goes through the roof if you record above that. Granted that they are decent discs, and you can get excellent burn quality with them at 1x or 2x...

If you are on about normal CDR's, that just claim they are good for Audio, that is just marketing spiel. They will be no better for one particular application. If they are good, they are good!

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I have never had any problems burning VCD and SCVD on any CD discs that I have used. I buy from an established online site and so I trust them. The only problem I've had is in copying VCD's - they do not copy very well with the odd glitch during playback - much better to burn again from file. Don't forget that VCD does not take up much more data than audio so that's why I say that any CD that will burn audio decently well should be fine. I don't know what you mean by a CD that dies in a month - how much are they and where do you get them from?

6. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

I was simply stating what works best for me, I was giving my opinion ;)
    Also I was talking about CD-R's that are label CD-R Audio. Never seen Philips 779 / 796.

7. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

If they are labelled "Consumer Audio" then they are low speed rated (will often not be written on the packaging, or very small), and for standalone players - they cost more as the RIAA takes a tax on the 'manual copies' people will make.

They work in PC's, but you'd be wasting your money ;)