1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best DVD menu creator?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by deezp1, Mar 3, 2005.

1. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

I have been using Nero Vision 2, for making DVD movies (With chapters, animated menues, the whole bit), but I find it a little slow (although I haven't really explored much other alternatives) and the menu, although there are a lot of options, the end product seems very n00bish and not to professional looking. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good DVD Authoring program that can make good professional looking DVD w/ animated menues that is also highly customizable. Thanks for the help.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

3. tmog

tmog Member

I've been using Sonic MyDVD 5 to create my menus, submenus... I like the output but it's basic.
    Anything better but not too pricey?

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

DVDLab standard. $99

5. tmog

tmog Member

why do you feel DVDLab standard is best?

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Because the two dvdlab apps will do more than any other in their price range.
    If you want the same stuff, in a different app, be prepared to pay $500 or more, for something like Scenarist, Vegas Studio, etc. The "dumbed down" apps, such as Sonic MyDVD, etc., just don't do what the big boys do, but cost the same as DVDLab.
    You could try Tmpgenc DVD Author, but even it can't do half the stuff that DLP can.
    DLP will also accept any non-standard mpeg, it doesn't have to be 720x480. It will directly author both VCD and SVCD to DVDR with no re-encoding. It will accept AC3, LPCM and mp2 audio, and transcode to 48khz for you. It allows programming (called LabTalk) of thousands of "undocumented" DVD menu/transition/movie commands. It allows full PCG editing, for custom commands (reprogram the remote sort of stuff). It will automatically create motion menus, switched menus, or static menus from any clip/picture. It allows for parental control, right on the DVD, it allows random number generation for trivia type games on dvd. It does slide shows, with background audio, and voice over audio. It allows switched multiple audio tracks, and switched subtitles. The list goes on...
    Download DVDLab Pro from http://www.mediachance.com free for 30 days, no limitations, not a crippled demo, and see.
    I have tutorials on using it, if you need some help getting started.

7. tmog

tmog Member

Any VOB support with DVDLab Pro/Standard? I did take a peak at a few of the screenshots, and it does offer more creative control but appears to be difficult. But, I think I could figure it out though.

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

9. tmog

tmog Member

Can I import VOBs in any program to demux and rejoin?
    Now if I used a seperate app to demux/rejoin to one large file, do I save it as a mpeg file or is it going to be two seperate files, an audio file and a video file? I am trying to learn this stuff. I do greatly appreciate all your help lately RebootJim. Sorry, if I sound annoying.

10. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

it looks good, it looks like a mix of nero & adobe premiere, but i by the screenshots and the tutorial I read on it, it doesnt seem that I could use video backgrounds for the menus, that is what I am looking for. I want to look almost as if it was a dvd bought of the shelf at a store.

11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

tmog, you don't need to do it in a separate app.

deezp1, yes you can use video for background.
    Hold the shift key down, while dragging from assets to the menu. Add your buttons/links, and when done, render it to a full motion menu.