1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best/easiest software to capture MiniDV??

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by acousty, Aug 10, 2005.

1. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Please start a new thread for this. The thread subject does not cover the topic.

2. blueviv

blueviv Member

IF anyone knows something about this please help me. I am using TMPGEnc to encode AVI to MPEG-2 but when it finish encoding the video and audio are separated. I know how to fix, I have to change it from ES(video+ audio) to System(video+ audio) but it doesn't let me do it because I can't select anything. Thank you

3. blueviv

blueviv Member

I already found how to change from ES(Video+ audio)to System(Video+ audio). But now I having another problem When I am trying to encode from AVI to mpeg-2 using TMPGEnc it says " you are trying to create MPEG-2 file. To play mpeg-2 file, DVD player software need to be installed on your system. Mpeg-2 file cannot be played without such playback software." but I just click continue and when the program starts encoding there is no preview of the video being encode it.
    Then when I burned the video to DVD and played in my DVD player the only thing I get is the sound and no picture. can someone help me out this please. Thank you

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The message is OK. In order to play the file you indeed will need a program like WinDVD, PowerDVD or alike.
    Anyway, you state that you burned it to a DVD. DId you just burn it as a file? If, so that i not correct. You need to author a VideoDVD.
    Check this article: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/tapetodvd.php and the pages linked to that article.

5. semid13

semid13 Regular member

There's a danger in using external HDD. Once I used my 120Gb ext HDD to store my captured video. While doing capturing, I turned off the HDD power accidentally. It was just for a few seconds but Windows displayed a message'Windows cannot finished writing to this disk'
    Next moment the whole HDD turned 'RAW' - all my data just vanished.
    When you are doing defragmentation of your 'C drive' & you got a power outage, the OS will get corrupted. Learn from experience.

6. blueviv

blueviv Member

Hello TPFKAS.
    No I didn't burn the video as a file. I used DVD workshop to burn it. I put a menu and title the only thing I did not put chapters in the video. I even checked if the DVD was durned as a file I opened the DVD by right click and then explore and What I see is that there are some VOB files in the DVD. So I don't know What could be the problem I am going to do it again. you know putting the menu and title again maybe I did something wrong. If anyone has some information on how to fix this please let me know. Thank you

7. allgood7

allgood7 Guest

edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2005
  8. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Software like Paragon Partition manager could have saved your data by "repairing" the partition

9. mickey2x

mickey2x Member

I make a DVD that goes with my schools yearbook and have Sony Vegas on my computer, but I would like to have some of the kids create parts of the DVD at school with having to buy numerous licenses for vegas or pinnacle. Does anyone know how the quality that Windows Movie Maker produces avis at compares to software such as pinnacle studio and vegas?

10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

As long as you stick to DV-AVI during your editing and also export the edited movie again to DV-AVI, it makes no difference whatsoever which program you use.

11. mickey2x

mickey2x Member

thanks a lot everyone for your help, was one of those things i was wondering about, and will help out my students now.

12. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Also, if you want a simple way to make your dvds, ULEAD (version 10) does a decent job
    Forget windows movie maker, its terrible.

13. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

I use a freeware program to transfer from my Camcorder to my PC: CaptureFlux

Very easy to use and practically doesn't consume any resource at all