1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best HD display choice for a gamer?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by snoremol, May 6, 2006.

1. snoremol

snoremol Guest

Hi, I'm not the most well versed when it comes to HDTV. I'm ready to buy, what should I get?

1. Plasma TV
    2. LCD TV
    3. DLP TV
    4. DLP Projector and Screen

I'm leaning heavily towards the 4th option, heard good things about DLP projectors: http://www.dlp.com/

2. ricetrack

ricetrack Regular member

i was at best buy last night and the sales rep told me that the DLP is good for games.

3. codydog

codydog Regular member

If you are a gamer look at Max res. Bigger the better. Component or progressive scan inputs. "Difference of day and night from av cables, s-video, to component on my PS2. "I have a Dell LCD." LCD, not necessarilly the "best," for gaming. You need a fast response time. Plasma warns of possible burnin from gaming, Contrast ratio, 1000 to 1 typical, the brighter the better. DLP is very sharp. The technology behind it amazes me. But flat panels are space efficient.

4. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

one thing you might want to look into is 3lcd. they are burn in resistant and unlike the dlps they don't have a color wheel so you won't see much lag if any. atleast that is what i've been told. and flat panels; none have the capability of producing 1080p which is what ps3 and blueray dvds will handle. some hitachis say they do but they lie, they don't really have true full hd 1080p

5. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

i recommend sonys sxrd tv's, they have true hi def of 1080p. and they are better than dlps, easily said that they are the pros of both dlp tvs and lcd tvs with no cons. look around on the forums, diabolos puts it the simpliest way to put it on another thread somewhere around here. he makes a lot of sense with what he says.

6. ricetrack

ricetrack Regular member

so sony sxrd's are the only tv's with 1080p right now?

7. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

na man there are some samsung dlps that can display 1080p, and there are some hiatchis or whatever they are, some of their flat panels claim to but they don't.

8. Xtreme81

Xtreme81 Member

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  9. Tauri

Tauri Member

No, DLPs don't lag at all. Some people can see a slight "rainbow" effect when there's moving white text on a black background, but that's really an issue of personal eyesight. LCDs, on the other hand, are notorious for ghosting and motion-blur, which for many people, myself included, is nausiating. It really comes down to the way that your eyes personally work, but a DLP is probably the way to go, but make sure that you get one with a high-speed colourwheel, which eleminates the rainbow effect entirely.