1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the best network media player

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by palindrom, Apr 10, 2007.

1. palindrom

palindrom Member

I would like to hook my hitachi plasma tv to my network to play ripped dvds from my hard drive and other video. I bought dlinks dsm510 hi def player and returned it. I had problems installing the software on my new gateway with dual core amd chip. I also could not set up the dlink on my hitachi the screen would go green during installation. There has to be a good device out there. I would like to hard wire it with cat5.

2. mattardo

mattardo Member

I've heard the Avel is good, but I don't have any details: my memory is foggy. most of the good ones are imports and it's questionable whether they do what they say.

3. ns79

ns79 Member

A modded X-Box might be worth looking into, I believe the latest version of xbmc does Hi-Def. Once you get xbmc up and going it's interface is really intuitive and straightforward, it easily outclasses any other standalone divx player, and plays every feasible video format really well.

4. zonk217

zonk217 Member

A ps3. you dont need to mod it. i just use nero media home. all my music and videos show up right on my ps3. The ps3 is also wifi and 1080p. good luck.

5. ns79

ns79 Member

The PS3 would be superior, however from a price standpoint you can accomplish HD and Wireless with a modded XBOX for far less than PS3 + Nero, XBMC is vastly superior to Nero in pretty much every aspect. However with a PS3 you get the added benefit of much better hardware, PS3 games, and Blueray playback.

6. SOSAGES

SOSAGES Member

at this stage in the game the content we get is more and more available in HD.

a standard xbox with xbmx does not have enough power to play back HD files.

So what to do?

either have a computer next to the TV or wait :)

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Not true!

The Xbox will happily play 720p.

XBMC is streets ahead of anthing else available. It catalogs your collections, plays everything and streams perfectly, both wired and wireless!

8. palindrom

palindrom Member

I am thinking about buying the Mvix™ Hi-Def MX-760HD. Does anyone know if this is a good buy or should i wait for something better? The other media player I am looking at is the Netgear EVA8000 Digital Entertainer HD but I am not sure if it will play Vob files from my ripped dvds. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

9. philly37

philly37 Regular member

I pre ordered this to try iy out but there is a back log
    http://www.popcornhour.com/
    Also a new Tvix(dvico) is comming out at end of january.

I was looking at the netgear but for me ide rather had a box where i can put a hard drive in the unit itself

Also there is the mediagate

10. rtginc

rtginc Member

The Asus DMAV15: Network media player is also good. Check out it's image
    [​IMG]

and it's description here.

11. philly37

philly37 Regular member

Man that looks sweet ill have to check that out

12. joeyjoey

joeyjoey Member

I think I'm going to try this xbmc thing out. Gave my old xbox to a friend who I doubt even uses it anymore so I'll ask for it back.

BUT, I hate the noise from the xbox. This might be a dumb question and the inappropriate place to ask, but I'd like to know how safe it is to disable the fans and replacement options are best. I hate having to have my tv twice as loud as necessary just to overcome those fans and that would honestly be my primary reason for not going through with this.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008