1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best quality format to encode dvd's to?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by amaze122, Jul 14, 2006.

1. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I have some dvds that I have copied to my harddrive that are about 8 gigs apiece. I would like to transform them into a form that is smaller, but retain the highest quality, nonetheless. What should I encode them to, (mpeg4, divx, etc), and what is the best tool to use to do it?

2. code58

code58 Member

3. code58

code58 Member

Use DVD Shrink 3.2

You can take out only the movie and leave the menus, trailers, ext.

And the quality stays the same.

4. amaze122

amaze122 Member

Even If I use Dvd Shrink, (which I do already), the movies would still be at least 4.35 gig apiece, after compression, which is still unacceptable. Meanwhile, THe problem with avi's, is, they don't look that good when I play them through my favorite player, WINDvD. They always need adjusting, for brightness. WInMediaPlayer has adjustments for brightness, but doesn't come close to the features and quality of WINDvD, besides I want a movie that, when converted (to whatever), plays like a DvD, with no adjustments neccessary. Now, Nero converts to Mpeg4, but in its own proprietary verstion of it, that only works best on either its own player, or, again, WinMediaPlayer. I guess [bold]what I need[/bold], is a converter that will let me convert to the smaller size, and still great quality of Mpeg4, but with a resulting file that will look great played with WinDvD...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The only things proprietary about Nero's mp4's are the chapters and subs. Not exactly proprietary anymore either since mp4box can handle them along with plenty of other tools, players, parsers, etc. For instance Media Player Classic can handle the subs and chapters.

6. code58

code58 Member

Oky, then try using DR DivX, u can convert ur dvd (to whatever) and also configure ur quality. And u can compress the dvd so small to about 900mb.

Just go to this link to download it:http:

//www.free-codecs.com/download/Dr_DivX.htm

And if you choose to convert it to avi then the quality will stay the same, even when its compressed so small.

The Code

7. Cathll

Cathll Regular member

8. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

convert them to .rmvb don't know how yet but the other nite I downloaded a 50minute ep of a TV show...usually available as a 369MB Divx...but this 'container' format was only 58MB but the quality was still very good. it's RealPlayer format. And it downloaded in under 2hrs which was like lightning in Torrent world.

9. amaze122

amaze122 Member

Hmmn, Could you email me the name of that site, so that I can compare the quality? But if it is against the rules or sumpin, just lemme know...

10. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Well, the P2P client is NanoTorrent, MiniNova and the file was Stargate Atlantis season3-1 NoMan's land. I was mistaken with the file size it was 68mb..but if most of those .rmvb files are all 1/7 the size of a DivX .avi and as good looking as that one, I might give it a shot...second thought No..still plenty of CD's I can save my .avi's on. But you were asking for a file type/codec to compact them to..so i offer.

11. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Depens if you prefer detail or not. Personally I don't like RV9EHQ aka RV10. Better to encode with x264. Most of those rmvb encodes I would imagine to are re-encodes of XviD rips rather than direct DVD re-encodes. With x264 you get spec compliant MPEG-4 part 10 rather than a proprietary format to.

DivX is MPEG-4 by the way and for ASP MPEG-4 I would suggest XviD over DivX.

For the audio you could keep the AC3 and use mkv as a container or re-encode to he-aac to further reduce size in which case you can use mp4 or mkv as a container. Check out MeGUI or similar for encoding.

12. amaze122

amaze122 Member

You have a guide in here that would explain a little more about the difference between the different codecs (Xvid, Divx, etc)? Especially this X264 (I've been searching the past forums, and X264 seems to come up a lot)?

13. Richard_l

Richard_l Guest

All right, I will introduce some special video/audio converter softwares and share them with you.
    I've used about 10 different programs. The best one I've found so far is 5Star Mobile video. I allows you to convert strait from a dvd to 3gp or just take a movie file and convert it to 3gp.

Also, it has the best ability to adjust settings out of the programs I've used. You can fine tune all of the settings to get the best quality movie and still manage to keep the file size down.
    It's a $50 dollar program.
    Imtoo 3GP video converter, it supports video and audio files including AVI, MPEG, 3GP, GIF, WMV, H.264, WMA, WAV, MP3, MP4, M4A, OGG, AAC etc.like ImTOO 3GP Video Converter by building in lots of codecs. APE, CUE decoding and CD audio ripping have been added to the supported files.
    With variable settings and fast converting speed, it is an affordable, high quality 3GP video encoder.
    Its price is $29!
    This video/audio converter software works well ,too.
    You can download these softwares on web, just have a try ,then you will find which one is appropriate.

Of course ,there are many video/audio converter softwares which are for free.For example AnyDVD and DVD Shrink are considered to be good. DVD Shrink is free. And there still exists some problems in these free softwares ,such as the interface is not very intelligent, and you have to edit command to finish some function, so usually it is not
    convenitent to beginners.

So I suggest you novice had better try the first two.Furthermore,although the Imtoo 3GP video converter is not for free, but it has a trial period. If you are reluctant to buy these softwares ,you can convert your work during this trial period .

It is an extremely easy to use video and audio formats converter. The software makes the process of converting so many formats a breeze by automating all the tasks and giving you the best quality.

This video/audio converter software is quite easy to use for the beginners.

At last, these knowledge is just some experience of my owns, if you want to know more details , you can practise by your self. If there is any problem, you can talk to me directly ,and we can discuss these problems together. And I sincerely hope you can benefit a lot from these practce.