1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best way to split a Divx Avi in 2?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by pennynike, Jun 26, 2002.

1. pennynike

pennynike Member

I have a 1.39 GB file that I want to split in 2. I tried doing it with VirtualDub and this is the results I get. The first half, I was able to split to just under 702 MB to fit on a CD, but the second one is a little more than 15 MB over at 717 MB. VirtualBub is adding extra data. Is there another program that will allow me to split the file without adding extra data? I have already trimmed out the end credits so there isn't else to trim off here.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

1.39GB or 1390MB? 1GB is not 1000MB, but 1024MB instead.

3. pennynike

pennynike Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Now that I think about it, you are right. It is 1.39 GB, so that means it is 1423.36 MB and that accounts for the extra MB. Now that I have that issue resolved, can you help me figure out why my movie won't split in half correctly when I divide the number of frames in half? For example, if I have 160,000 frames, I should be able to split in half (80,000) and get 2 equal pieces according to the afterdawn guide on how to use virtual dub, but it doesn't work for me. Also, I never can get an accurate reading with any bitrate calculator so I have to basically multiply the bitrate it gives me by a factor. Right now, I am trying multiplying the bitrate by 1.1136969 to try to get the 1400 MB that I ask it for. Normally, the bitrate calculator will give me an output of anywhere between 1.21 GB to 1.28 GB (1239 to 1310 MB). Any suggestions on what might work better?

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

The problem is that the video (and possibly audio as well) is very likely encoded with VBR mode, meaning "Variable BitRate" -- so, parts of the movie that are "hard" or "difficult" (like action sequences) for the encoder, use higher bitrates and parts that are "easy" (like slow panoramic chapters, etc) use lower bitrate. So, if the other half of the movie has more "difficult" sequences than the other half, obviously the other half takes more space.

There's really no other way to get accurate or near accurate split into half than by trial and error.