1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is VFAPI codec/FrameServer?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dfarm, Aug 11, 2004.

1. dfarm

dfarm Guest

I've been having trouble converting .avi files (made with Divx codec, I believe) in TMPGEncoder 3.0 XPress and after searching this website, I cannot seem to find any useful info (at least for me) about this vfapi thing.

I have installed AviSynth and DVD2AVI, thinking that at least one of these two apps had this included.

Every time I open an .avi file, I get an error message about not having or not having the correct vfapi frameserver installed even though when I check the Preferences in TMPGEncoder 3.0 XPress, I see that this vfapi frameserver is installed and the box next to it is checked.

Please enlighten me on this thing.

Thank You!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Frameserving is a process by which you directly transfer video data from one program on your computer to another. No intermediate or temporary files are created. The program that opens the source file(s) and outputs the video data is called the frameserver. The program that receives the data could be any type of video application.

Avisynth is a script-based program that acts solely as a frameserver.

VFAPI is another excellent frameserving utility. It's the most compatible frameserver you can use.If necessary, you can open a frameserved video in VFAPI and then frameserve it again to your desired video application. For example, you could set up Avisynth to resize a video, open the AVS script with VFAPI, and then frameserve the video to your application through VFAPI.

If you want to use VFAPI with TMPGEnc, make sure you install the VFAPI plug-in for TMPGEnc.
    available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/m2v_plugin_for_tmpgenc.cfm

3. dfarm

dfarm Guest

Thanks!

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You are welcome ! This is what this Forum is all about ! Happy Burning !