1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what kind of cable?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by ProBaller, May 24, 2007.

1. ProBaller

ProBaller Regular member

i have a couple of hddvds on my desktop, and i need to know what cable i need to connect it to my hdtv and watch it cause my comp screen is too big, and i might transfer the videos to my laptop because that is easier to carry downstairs then a bulky desktop lol

2. capu57

capu57 Member

Well depending on your video out connections on your pc you may have to use component thru a vga to component adapter. On the other hand if you have a DVI connection you can any of the following 3 options depending on what connection your tv has.
    1. DVI cable
    2. Dvi to HDMI cable
    3. HDMI cable with and 1 DVI adapter

3. savlon

savlon Guest

hi iam new at this and not sure if i am in the right place for this question ,i have a pioneer 43" tv hd, i would like to know if its possible to get the movies on the tv direct from my pc , i have playstation 3 and it has internet or some thing like that, i am not sure as i just bought the playstation3 for to play blue ray movies, and iam a a pensioner but a young one , i love doing my movies on the pc and burn them on to dvds etc but i ask a guy in a pc shop and he said he would set it up for me for a £1000,i said i would talk to my son about it , my son said he was trying it on, and not to bother ok, so can it be done and what would i need thank you for your help and sorry if i am in the wrong place for this

4. GIXXERGUY

GIXXERGUY Member

dvi cables are expensive..crap..lol

he could just go svga all the way to the tv (if tv has pc input)
    the quality should be about the same.

quality from what i seen goes like this

HDMI
    DVI SVGA ABOUT THE SAME
    COMPONENT
    SVIDEO

am I right?
    if so(if he doesn't have dvi on the back of the vidcard then why not just split svga from pc to desk monitor to the tv? that is what I am thinking about doing. Or I might get a new graphics card with hd and then run the dvi to hdmi I don't know yet

5. capu57

capu57 Member

No true with DVI and SVGA being the same
    Some tv's have two different resolutions for instance the Sony KDS60-A2020 which is a 1080P tv will max out at 1360X768 on the PC input but if you used and HDMI to DVI cable it would be able to do atleast 1920X1080I and possible 1920X1080P

6. capu57

capu57 Member

Also DVI cable are getting really cheap you can find 15 foot cable for about $21 and I have seen 50 foot cable for aroud $71 but who really need a 50 foot dvi cable.

7. GIXXERGUY

GIXXERGUY Member

I need a 12-18ft cable right now to get from pc to tv.

I have my 40" samsung 1080p and I'll watch quite a few movies from pc on the tv.

i might get a hd card with dvi and go from dvi to hdmi

or i have a dvi input on the tv..

would it be better to dvi to dvi

or convert dvi to hdmi?

sorry to jack the thread

8. capu57

capu57 Member

Not 100% sure if DVI will even do 1080P but it is worth a try. But to be sure it would be best to upgrade your video card to one with HDMI and just run and HDMI straight. But unless the movies you have on you computer are HD Movies there would be no real reason to spend the money and time just to get 1080P since the movies were recorded probably from a regular DVD at 480I/P. So even if you computer can upconvert and show the dvd at a better resolution the difference between 1080i and 1080p would be worthless.

9. GIXXERGUY

GIXXERGUY Member

I need a AGP card, my card has to have a vga out and either dvi or hdmi...

10. capu57

capu57 Member

I did leave something out most likely it would make no difference if you used the SVGA port to watch a movie recorded on your pc from a standard DVD on to your hd tv. No don't take my word for it I wont know for sure for about 3 more weeks. Cause my Video card has both SVGA and DVI but I wont be hooking it up to my TV until I get a new stand in a few weeks. No if the movie was either downloaded or recorded from an HDDVD or BluRay DVD then the DVI or HDMI would make a difference.

11. GIXXERGUY

GIXXERGUY Member

yeah i know this. lol

if the movie isn't hd then it won't be hd, but quality will be improved a little bit slightly

if the movie is hd on the pc then it will be hd on the tv IF you have the proper cables.