1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of hard drive is best.

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Bottz, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Bottz

Bottz Member

I have been backing up my games on DVD but after watching Tech tv's "The Screen Savers" show on XBOX modding I have got to put a larger hard drive in. My question would be Maxtor or Western Digital. 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM? and is it required to install a fan for heat precautions??
    Thanks
    Bottz

2. Dank

Dank Regular member

I've modded now 12 xboxes and used the maxtor in every one and they work great. 7200 is the one its much faster

3. ridah100

ridah100 Member

no need to install a fan, the stock hard-drive is 5400, but many ppl install 7200rpm and it will get hotter, but there shouldn't be any problems (i got a 7200rpm and no problems)

just make shure you hard-drive is lockable, dat's like the only thing. Maxtor or western digital? I went with a maxtor just cuz it's a few bucks cheaper

4. shank69ox

shank69ox Regular member

Ive done several XBOX mods now and use 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda 80gb in them.No problems what so ever.I have also compared to 5400 rpm drives side by side and there is not that much of a difference.So go with whatever floats your boat.You should not have any problems.

5. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

While I dont condone ANYONE buying an Ex-Box and giving more money to Micro$oft, I will say that you should stick to Seagate or Western Digital. Avoid Maxtors at all cost! Sure they are cheaper, but you dont want to go buying a new one every year now do you?

6. Dank

Dank Regular member

I've had a maxtor for 3 years and it works fine still.. but I also backup all my games to DVD