1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of quality can you expect from a divx to dvd

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Emerald24, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Emerald24

Emerald24 Guest

Im new to this game and was wondering what the quality is of the finished product compared to a retail dvd

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

if done right, which is hardly. it can be transparency or indistinguishable, at least during playback.

mostly i that i've seen isn't good enough for me. but thats just me.

hardly, because. if you're downloading movies,
    most people i know that really know about video won't share it. they back up, not sharing. buy the dvd, or rent it. :)

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

It all depends on the DivX -- as MPEG-4 (Divx) and MPEG-2 (DVD) are both lossy formats, the thumb of rule applies: shit in, shit out.

In other words: whatever the output format, its quality can't exceed the quality of the input material. So, if the DivX is crappy, it can't get -- in any possible situation, ever -- better from that by converting it into a DVD. Instead, the quality drops always when converting from DivX to DVD -- as DVD provides more bitrate to play with, typically the drop between DivX and DVD is unnoticeable. But the quality of the resulting DVD doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the original DVD video that was once converted to DivX -- only quality that matters when converting "back" is the quality of the DivX :)

Let's say that we do several conversions for the video, from one format to another and then that result again to another. Let's agree that in here, one means the worst possible video quality and ten means the best possible video quality:

original DVD, quality 10

lets convert it into a high bitrate DivX. Let's say this resulting video has a quality level of 8.

Now, whatever format we convert the DivX to, it can't ever exceed quality of 8. Ever. So, we do a high bitrate conversion with all the magic we know from DivX (of high quality, "8") to SVCD.

Now, lets assume the quality of this resulting SVCD weakened only a little bit, as we're so darn good encoders. It is now quality of 7. We put this to our granpa's machine and run a P2P on it and distro it to our 3 million closest friends.

One of them decides to convert the good quality SVCD he got from P2P to a DVDR. Now, no matter what encoder or snake oil he uses, best quality he can ever achieve is "quality 7". And so on..

Hope I didn't confuse everybody now :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004