1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Kind of Speaker system I should get

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by chubbs69, Feb 25, 2008.

1. chubbs69

chubbs69 Member

I just bought an HDTV. I got all the basics, blu-ray dvd player w/ HDMI cable (full 1080p) , HD Programing (full 1080p), HDMI cable for xbox 360, and component cable for Wii. Now I am looking to getting a speaker system. I was looking at best buy but everything comes with a dvd player and I aready have Blu-ray. I just want to hook up a
    7.1 surround sound system any help?

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I dunno but, the ones that come with the dvd player might be your best bet if you're on a budget. From my experience I have yet to find a decent 7.1 setup with receiver for less then a 1000. A good center channel speaker alone can cost you about 200 dollars or more.

With that being said...

To take advantage of all your new gear, your going to want a receiver that can output the new HD audio formats, such as DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD.

Yea, most of those setups are pretty lame and don't really deliver a true 7.1 experience. I'd roll with one of those Onkyo 7.1 setups, you can probably find one of those for around 500-600 bucks if your on a budget.

3. chubbs69

chubbs69 Member

I was looking at a bose lifesytle v30 , I want to avoid getting a reciver unit is that even possible?

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Bose is a bit pricey, I think you could get a much better system then the Lifesytle V30 for the amount of money you would spend on that. Does this even decode the new HD formats? Maybe, I'm not sure though. Bose does get a lot of criticism from many people on online forums and magazines due to the high price and people stating that it just doesn't meet their standards of what a high-end system should be.

I dunno, I've heard a Bose system before and I thought it sounded alright. I guess it just all comes down to preference. Maybe someone else here can give you some insight.

5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Agree with brother Goodswipe, Bose is waaaaaaay over priced and over rated. A better bet is Definitive Technologies speakers ( Mythos ). Check them out over the net. Good luck.

6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Now you are talking going basic as preamp/processor and a 5/6/7 channel amp and speakers. For the pre/pro and amp check out Outlaw Audio online ( they are legit ). But this method will get you the best soun, and cost you more.

7. chubbs69

chubbs69 Member

I'm not that concerend about price but thanks guys

8. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

In that case (I've got everything mentioned but the pre/pro)

1)Sunfire Theatre Grand 3/4 Pre/Pro
    2)Bryston 7B-SST poweramps (5,6,7 they are mono amps)
    3)Def Tech 7000/7001 sc speakers and corresponding center
    4)JL Audio Fathom f-113 powered sub

9. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Now that's what I'm talken about, that should truly give you MORE bang for your buck!

10. Icanbe

Icanbe Guest

Top notch equipment, set you back a pretty penny, but when you hear it you'll be in heaven.

11. chubbs69

chubbs69 Member

Thx I'll check them out.

12. Icanbe

Icanbe Guest

O yeah, forgot this on my last post.

For the love of God, stay away from Bose, one of the biggest scams going in the audio industry, bar none.

Paper cones, thin plastic cabinets, cheaply made, but expensively sold.

@chubbs69
    You could also look at Marantz, Onkyo or Integra revievers, they are all good quality and Energy or Tannoy speakers are also good.

13. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Ain't that the Truth!
    @Icanbe, Well Spoken!

14. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

15. chubbs69

chubbs69 Member

I have the bose companion 5 for my computer and it works just fine, I also have the quitecomfort headphones.

16. Icanbe

Icanbe Guest

Thanks iluvendo

@chubbs69

They do seem to make good headphones, I have never heard their pc speakers, But I have heard home setups and it's absoulte rubbish, trust me friend DON'T BUY THEM.

Read the link goodswipe put up, it's a real eye opener.

17. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

If price is not an object, have you ever considered Wisdom Audio speakers? Especially the Infinite Rush series.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  18. metzmind

metzmind Guest

I would look into a Denone AVR1908 it will pass through HDMI handling your audio/video from your epuipment. But if you want to utilize the new sound fromats from Blu-Ray then you need to step the reciever up to a Denon AVR2808. A good receiver will get it done for about $500, BUT a great receiver will be double that. Speakers...it all depends if you want floor speakers, Bookshelf, Satelite, or even inceiling/inwall speakers? I'll post back when you respond. Peace

19. metzmind

metzmind Guest

20. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

So that's what that acronym means!