1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kinda processor is the fastest for DVD-RB

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by AndreL, Apr 25, 2006.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i dont use DVD-RB because of time restrains BUT i do use clonedvd 2 with anydvd and my times are 10 to 12 mintues for shorter movies and 20 to 25 mintues for longer movies ,thats everything transcoding and burning the dvd .i have a decent system per my sig.

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@aabbcc........ you are using a transcoder........ DVD-RB is an encoder that takes the video and re does everything to keep the quality HIGH and is much better than a transcoder..... so it takes longer.... but the results are better. I use AnyDVD/CloneDVD2, also, but it's for 100% quality (no compression)! Your times are what's expected from a fast transcoder---- and AnyDVd/CloneDVD2 are one of the best!

3. L8ter

L8ter Guest

@IHOE
    I have two instances of procoder doing my handy work. this is something you cannot do w/ cce as cinema craft won't let two instances run simultaniously even if they are different installs in seperate directories. there has been several request when jdobbs first added the feature for dualcore/ht systems, but no responses from cinemacraft.

check under settings you will find the option for multiple encoder processes. works w/ pro2,hc, and I believe quenc/autoq one of the two??
    @ BigDK
    I also tend to leave avg monitoring,as well as pcwizard 2006 minimized so I can see the temps and processor usage, and a couple of other silly things in my tray :)

one thing that struck me odd your(amd) chipset/cpu let's you dynamically allocate your processing to one core??

I can disable a core, or not use dual instances but that just spreads the lessened load evenly across both cores.

@ aabbccdd, patience is of virtue, especially since I haven't noticed a trend in tv's getting smaller or display quality going down.
    to me it's worth the time invested + the options available outway my need for speed :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2006
  4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I hadn't noticed the multiple encoder option so it wasn't checked.
    Also hadn't seen the encode menus option either, so thats now checked as well.
    Will run it through again to see if it is any quicker with the multiple encoder option checked.

5. L8ter

L8ter Guest

you should see about 30% decrease in "encode" time.

I thought it was on by default may be it's just do to replacing beta version's w/ newreleases

I don't use the encode menues option (it will take more time)although testing it I didn't have any problems, I have read numerous threads here and there.

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

L8ter i understand that but i work 50 plus hours a week and dont have time to use DVD-RB because well i wont say ,i wish i did but i dont

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I need to do another test with the encode menus off, as the time actually went up by 4 minutes from the first run using the multiple encode.
    So wasn't really a valid test.

aabbccdd@
    Is there any reason you don't just use the batch processing method whilst your at work.
    I've used it a few times and its always gone through the films without any issues, most I've done in one go was 3 over night.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

BigDK...... I did 4 over night in batch! love it!!!

9. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

[bold]said by: aabbccdd[/bold]

I use ShrinkIt too, cause my system takes a long time (like all day :)
    )to encode with DVD-RB but I plan on useing DVD-rb when I upgrade my system. With ShrinkIt I'm scared that my DVD copies will look pretty bad on flat screeen plamas so I try to keep the percentage up above 90% or so. Are'nt you fearful of not haveing such a qulity of the movie on your flat screen tv when watching a backup ver. or one of your DVD's. I read some where on this forum that with ShrinkIt if you keep the percentage above 90% can keep the picture quality that is equal to using DVD-RB. So I'm getting.

My first set of DL DVD I'm about to get; and I'm goona put anything that goes below 90% with ShrinkIt on a DL to keep the quality of the movie. But I'm not so certain with DVD-RB when to use a DL DVD to keep the quilty of the movie.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

if you are using a DL then I wouldn't use DVD-RB at all! you can fit the whole DVD as a 1:1 copy without encoding/transcoding! what's the purpose at all? You can use RB without compression, too, but an easy way of doing a full backup at a 1:1 would be using Nero to [bold]copy DVD[/bold] option and let Nero do it's thing with AnyDVD in the background! Or just AnyDVD and CloneDVD will do the job too! When you don't need to compress RB still takes longer.... like 25 mins. on my machine and if I use CloneDVD at 100% quality (no compression) that goes for about 15-20mins, tops! Just take out the encrption and away ya go!

11. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Your right "IHoe" I wasn't thinking stright. But what I'm trying to do is keep quality on my DVD Backups. And with movies that are go under 90% with ShrinkIt the qulaity goes with it, when watching the backup on a Plasma Flat screen (which I plan on getting some time soon). What I'm trying to keep is quality.

In DVD-RB when does quality on the movie go down when trying to put it on 4.7 GB single layer discs. Should I ever have to put the movie on a DL. Am I outa my mind for trying to do this, cause the difference would me so minute and minuscule, that when watching the move on a CRT screen and a flat HDTV screen, that it would be indistinguishable.

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you can't get any better than a 1:1 copy..... soooooo the DVD copy would be like the original store bought DVD! that's your answer. You can get a 1:1 copy using AnyDVD and DVDDecrypter! Rip files to the hard drive using DVDD (which doesn't do anything to the files.... it's an exact copy as the store bought) Rip using the mode ISO READ..... write using mode ISO WRIGHT. whaaaaaaalllllllaaaahhhhhh perfect duplication! I tink! LOL

13. L8ter

L8ter Guest

as they say beauty is in the eye...well you get it, just do some testing, to see what measure of reduction you are willing to live w/ personally I don't even flinch @ like a 60% reduction of a movie using rebuilder. look @ the log for king kong it's like 59% of the original size it's still superb (to mine eyes)it's a keeper :)

btw I've bought no more than 5 dl's and have not seen the need since testing them.

there is a huge difference between encoding and transcoding w/ other quicker programs

+ w/ rb you have several options such as steal from extra's, movie only, half d1 for extra's, filtering, and matrices selections that gives you the abbility to tinker til it suits your preffences.

hope that is what you meant ;)

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've only burned 6 DL dvd's. LOTR trilogy (3 discs) and then a season of law and order that was on 3 dvd10's (3 discs). I've had no reason to use them for anything else thanks to rb/cce's superb quality.

15. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Like you, Mort, I only bought a package of 5 DLs and they came out great......but I find that with DVD-RB with CCE the quality is great when you have to compress the movie. When the movie only will fit on a DVD-5 without compression I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, simple and easy!

16. FartDude

FartDude Guest

I have gotten decent results using rebuilder and cce, and i have a 3.06 ghz p4, i once backed a movie using a 6 pass left going while i was out for the day, came back and looked at the log and it took around 100 mins to complete.

17. ebega

ebega Regular member

6 passes took 100 minutes? Wow...that is pretty damn fast.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Well the verdict is in. For a 7.2 gb folder using rb pro/cce upgrading from a 2.8 533 fsb non ht cpu to a 3.4 800 fsb ht cpu shaved 28 minutes off the time. Went from 139 min to 111 min. Not a dramatic decrease but it all helps. This northwood runs a lot cooler than the 2.8 prescott too. It will suffice for now untill I feel the urge for an OC.

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Mort have you considered a AMD Dual-Core ? iam going with the AMD Opteron 175 Denmark or maybe the 180 in june or july seems the way to go higher clock speeds that the Intels

20. FartDude

FartDude Guest

my prescott tends to get rather warm during encoding times, i try and stay away from oc'ing as much as possible.