1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What motherboard is this?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by fuel_f2f, Mar 17, 2006.

1. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Do you live in a rural location fuel_f2f?
    I mean, you don't live near Toronto then I guess...
    Here is a good (Canadian) PC distributor for you:
    http://www.pccanada.com/
    They are great :^)
    Pricing is very good too.
    Where are you - not BC or something...? (NOT close to Toronto, LoL ;^) that would be many distant leagues beyond count from here.
    Anyway, good luck to you. Did you get the IBM running 133 yet?
    L8R

2. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

No I can't get the IBM at 133 fsb yet. Every site/program that teaches you how to do it requires you to use your motherboards manual. I'm gonna try calling IBM and requesting the manual.

Oh and I live in a decent City, but on the east coast. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. But I'm moving to Hamilton, just an hour or so from Toronto, which is when I'll prolly get the computer. I'll check out that site. Thanks so much for the help! I appreciate it!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All you should need to do is go into the BIOS and change the Front side bus speed to 133mhz. Unless the feature is locked you shouldn't have much trouble.

4. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

I've installed the 733mhz while I wait for the 933mhz to arrive but... The cpu is not the problem... wtf???
    The motherboard is new, the cpu is new, the power supply is new, sound card is new, graphics integrated so thats new... new ram.... wtf is old??? nothing!!! Could it be the hard drive?!?!

I get this message on startup since new cpu

Post Startup Errors
    The following errors were detected when the system was started.
    167 No Processor Bios Update found.
    Select one of the following:
    Continue.
    Exit Startup

Selecting continue brings me to the bios which allows me to do damn near nothing and makes it go through this over and over.. exiting allows me to boot into Windows XP.

Perhaps the Hard drive is messed up? but would that make my computer cut out and restart over and over and over???

PS> my computer now runs at a cool 32C :D

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well your current Motherboard doesn't have the BIOS software to run the new CPU so you need to get a BIOS update on a floppy disk and flash the BIOS before you can go further. Once you do you may be alright. A hard disk is very unlikely to cause the system to restart.

6. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

I thought replacing Bios was usually a last ditch effort... I've read on some forums while searching and they suggest clearing/reseting the Cmos... I have no clue how to do that. But I thought I'd wait for people on this site as I trust Afterdawn users more than most other people :D

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm flattered! lol

Flashing the BIOS isn't replacing it, it's changing the software. All you need to is to put the BIOS on a bootable recovery disk and upgrade the BIOS software, no hardware adjustment needed.

Resetting the CMOS is basically removing the battery that powers the BIOS (a coin cell battery usually at the base of the motherboard), leaving the system for half an hour or so, then replacing it, so as to reset the settings saved in the BIOS memory.
    That shouldn't be necessary if you try the first option first. If that doesn't work however, I'd recommend a BIOS reset.

8. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Not trying to sound dumb, just making sure I do this right. I just got the newest Bios for my system from IBM before installing this chip a few weeks ago. Do I simply get that Bios update, put it on a Bootable disk and re-install it? Or since I have the newest Bios available for my Board… Will I need to reset the Cmos and THEN install the Bios?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The first option should work. If it doesn't, then try the second one. It's only time you're wasting if you do it the other way round first, you won't damage anything.

10. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Reinstalled the Bios and my computer is running VERY quietly now compared to being extremely loud... and my comp temp droped to 33 during normal operation, 30 at idle. It hasn't shut down YET but my voltages are wrong. Currently waiting for email from IBM on instructions.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Voltages wrong?
    If the PC runs OK, then this must be a problem with the temperature sensors, which may well have been disturbed by replacing a CPU, but if there's any instability, you may have problems. I don't like the sound of the quiet fan.

12. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Its not quiet... Its just normal... liek when I had my old Power supply. When I replaced my power supply it was so loud... So loud even that my girlfriend could hear it through the phone when I was across the room from my PC and it annoyed her it was so obvious... Now I can hear it... but it sounds like a normal computer. Its still louder than most new computers u see on the shelves at most computer stores... just quiet to me :p

I dunno if you saw one of my other threads... but my voltages are way messed. I downloaded and ran MBProbe and this is what it gives.
    +3.3V - 4.08
    +5V - 6.85
    +12V - 16.32
    -5V - -6.80
    -12V - -16.32
    And there are flashing red lights beside them and an alarm sounding... Someone told me this can cause some major instability. But my Bios doesn't allow me to change the voltage properties or ajust FSB speeds. I've learned that when you OC the fsb you need to increase the Power a lil to compensate and that your temperature will rise... Also the temps I've listed b4 ar HDD temps... my cpu runs at about 30C normally... HDD runs slightly hotter by a few degrees...

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I believe I mentioned somewhere before, if those readings were true, your system would be stone dead and there would have been nasty smells and noises. Trust me, if your PC is running well enough to display figures like those, they're false. That program obviously doesn't support your voltage sensors. My friend's old computer was just the same, measuring something absurd like -2.32V for the +12V rail, but it ran fine because those readings just weren't true.

I wouldn't worry your head about it.
    I'm also glad to hear that you're running a quiet PC legitimately, that had me worried for a minute! PSUs can be noisy beggars so it's good to see you've finally got something to take care of that.
    My PC probably runs at about 30-32dB ish, so louder than most stock PCs but a lot quieter than it used to be (about 37dB before I changed the heatsink!)

14. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

The heatsink that came with my CPU is smaller than the one I had... and dumb old me I put the smaller one in with a generic Fan when my old one is much bigger with a thermaltake fan... Sometimes I just don't look... Are copper bottoms on Heatsinks better? The bigger one had a copper layer on the bottom...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In theory all heatsinks should have a copper section on the bottom. You want copper in as many places as possible really.

16. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Gold distributes heat REALLY well ;) That'd be an expensive heatsink right there :p

I'm gonna throw in the bigger one when the 933mhz CPU gets here and do all these steps again... I was just so impatient lol.

By the way, thanks for all the help. You've responded so frequently and fast this has been like a daily chat :p

I'm gonna miss you :'( *tear* lmao

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A heatsink-sized lump of solid gold? Go ahead!

18. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

OMFG my computer STILL shuts down... not as much but still multiple times daily... what could this be seriously... The only thing thats original from the last year of trying to fix this is the floppy drive and the CD-Rom/Burner Drive... EVERYTHING else is new. The absolute ONLY thing I can think of now is that the shutting down has caused major instability in my system files on my hard drive. I already know its caused my hard drive to have bad sectors on it... Possibly my computer has system files there? Theres no pattern to the shutting down at all... It can shut down even when left idle for hours...

I'm really getting at my wits end with this... I might actually give up and take it into the shop :(

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You havent changed the motherboard, that could still be a problem.

20. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

IBM changed the motherboard, under extended warranty due to capacitor leaks on MANY of their NetVista series computers... the motherboard is less than a year old... The computer died... wouldn't boot, so I took it to the shop, which told me it was the motherboard and that its IBM's fault and they replace it under warranty... so I call IBM and they send it to a local shop they deal through and they replace it for free... the thing is, I get the computer back and it works... but it shuts down CONSTANTLY. So I've been spending months trying to fix this... so I'm getting pissed and gonna chew out IBM's CSR's till they do something about it... lol

So yea, the only thing thats not new is the burner, floppy drive and some cables... everything else is brand new. After thinking of the money wasted in the long run, it would have been cheaper to have bought a new PC... but then again... I had enough for a component then, and not a PC...