1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What movies have Dolby TrueHD??

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by elusiv1, Oct 17, 2006.

1. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Sup guys and gals, i have a couple movies for my Toshiba HD-A1 that are being decoded as Dolby Digital Plus.. Are there any movies in True HD, if so is there a differece in sound between DD+ and TrueHD, thanks.......

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

These HD-DVD releases have Dolby TruHD soundtracks along with standard DD+:

Phantom of the Opera
    Training Day - I used this disc to show off Dolby TruHD to friends.
    Constantine
    The Perfect Storm
    Troy
    End of Days
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Batman Begins - This is my new Dolby TruHD show-off disc- just excellent.

Future Dolby TruHD releases:
    12 Monkeys
    The Thing
    Out of Sight
    Accepted
    Miami Vice
    The Scorpion King

Basically if you have the equipment to bring out the best in any movie soundtrack then you will definitely hear a difference between Dolby TruHD and DD+ (downmixed to DTS).

3. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Man, thanks for all the info dblbogey7!!! Looks like i'll be buying more movies, i think i'll buy Batman Begins and Training Day..So far i've got Goodfellas,Terminator 3, and FullMetal Jacket...

My setup consists of a Yamaha HTR-5750 receiver, 2 Polk Monitor 70's fronts, 2 Polk Monitor 50's rear, Velodyne 10" sub, Pioneer SHF11C Center Channel Speaker. I'm using the Mult-Channel inputs on the receiver and the 5.1 analog inputs on the Toshiba HD-A1, it really rocks my house, i love the sound. Thanks again for the info...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Add to the list above: V for Vendetta. A little thin on storyline but an amazing experience visually with accurate reproduction of the visual style as seen in theaters - an excellent transfer. The Dolby TruHD soundtrack is also demonstration quality and will give your surround sound system and your subwoofer a very good workout. I rented the DVD version of this film a few weeks ago and I remember some balance problems with the DD soundtrack particulary with respect to the dialogue track being drowned out by the effects. This problem has been fixed with the Dolby TruHD mix.

5. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

@dblbogey7:

You forgot to mention the most important reason to see or own that HD-DVD: Natalie Portman in 1080p.

6. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Excellent point.

7. cp1966

cp1966 Regular member

Hey guys, in order to "use" Dolby HD and the DTS version of HD sound, does one need a new HD type receiver, or does the audio portion need to go to a receivers analogue inputs?

Sorry, but I am confused as to how to use this new audio with a receiver; I am considering buying a new Denon AV receiver with crutchfields no payments till Jan 09 option, but dont want to get one that will be obsolete in 6 months.....

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The new Denon receivers should do fine - they should have HDMI switching capability. Just connect the player using HDMI and run another cable from the receiver's HDMI output to you HDTV. Dolby TruHD is decoded in the player and is output thru HDMI. Just set the HD DVD player to output PCM 96khz instead of Bitstream. This allows the player to decode the audio the send it out as uncompressed 96khz PCM over HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  9. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

According to the Denon website the models that have HDMI switching are:

AVR-887
    AVR-987
    AVR-2307CI
    AVR-2807
    AVR-3806
    AVR-4306
    AVR-4806CI
    and their flagship models AVR-5805 and 5805MKII

10. cp1966

cp1966 Regular member

Ok, thanks.

Is there that much of a sound difference, and will it help if I go to 7.1 from 5.1?

11. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

With decent amplification and speakers you will hear a difference. Dolby TruHD soundtracks offer increased dynamic range and detail and better balance overall. I suggest trying Batman Begins for starters. Practically all releases now are in 5.1 so going to 7.1 may not offer a substantial increase in quality. The only advantage of 7.1 I see at this time would be with music.