1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What parts can you use from an old PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Wyattspop, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey Guys,
    So I have 2 Gateway desktops, identical P6803W and one took a dive (the HD quit). One question, can I take the DIMM card from the dead one and add to the memory of the working PC? Any other parts worth saving/re-using? Otherwise, is it worth dropping say $40 on Ebay to replace the bad HD to give me back the failed desktop? I could at least use it as a redundant memory to store family photos etc. Yes, I already have a 1 TB external, but that's getting up there in the years too
    Thanks Ya'll

2. aldan

aldan Active member

these pcs are getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak.if they are indeed identical then if you have a spare ram slot you could probably use the ram.honestly i wouldnt spend a dime on these units.i would think more about a new external drive before doing anything to the old pcs

3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Makes sense, thank you, yeah, 2011! I know a place that sells rockin' rebuilt PC's , good stuff for just $200-$300

4. aldan

aldan Active member

or,you could research a build and put it together yourself.its a hell of a lot of fun really.if you need any help just post your budget.what parts you already have ie monitor,keyboard,etc.and what you want to be able to do with your pc.its really not as complicated as ive made it sound.lol