1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What parts should I get?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sirksam, Dec 5, 2007.

1. sirksam

sirksam Regular member

Hi, I'm planning to build my own PC. First I want to know, what are the required parts I need to run and also make sure it doesn't fry the motherboard. Also, I want my PC to be able to play next-generation games (example : Crysis, Call Of Duty 4.etc), the DVD drive, sound card, Hard drive.etc is all stuff I can worry about myself. But someone please answer my questions :

1) What are the required parts to run a PC I'm building? Also without it burning the motherboard.

2) Whats the cheapest graphic card that has the ability to do this?

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

We need to know your budget. Since you seem like you dont really know what exactly to look for, I would suggest buying a premade, so you dont fry the mobo by toughing it without grounding yourself. (PC parts cant really burn a mobo, unless you overclock them to the point at which the PSU fails and takes other pats with it)

The 3870 from ATi is 250 on newegg. It should play Crysis fairly well. Not a Very high serttings though. I think a GTX is the only card that can play Crysis on very high (DX10) with ok fps.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

...so far. It may be wise to wait until the new Geforce 8800GTS 512MB arrives if you can afford to spend that much. Most games require a half-decent PC to run them at all well, and you're looking at a total budget of anything above $700 or £500 to do this. However, Crysis is in its own league in that regard. No PC it is currently possible to build on any budget can play Crysis smoothly on a high detail setting at any decent resolution, so it's a case of do the best you can really. The best cards to go for if you want reasonable gaming performance for stuff like that are the Radeon HD3870 and the 8800GT. Since the former renders Crysis at a far better image quality, however, that's what I'd recommend in the graphics department. Crysis is also very demanding on the CPU, so I'd recommend nothing slower than a Core 2 Duo E6750 for good performance. You'll want at least 2GB of RAM (preferably more), and high performance stuff, such as Crucial Ballistix or Corsair XMS2.
    As for motherboards, there are a variety of good ones. I use a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R which is a very good board.
    For Power supplies, you want something well built like a Corsair HX.
    Case is pretty much down to personal preference.