1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What printing technology to use. printing thousands of dvd covers. please help

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by johnpwilk, Dec 24, 2007.

1. johnpwilk

johnpwilk Guest

Hey everyone.

Long story short my company is using dvds for our next marketing campaign. We are using 7mm slimline cases, but are currently printing with an inkjet printer. it has been ok until the volume has risen to its current level. roughly i am paying between 20 and 30 cents per page as it currently sits. Does anyone know if switching to a laser printer, the kodak easyshare (very cheap oem ink), or purchasing a big color copier?

Keep in mind that a dvd cover is about 90% of a 8.5 x 11 sheet, my colors vary depending on run and season. I am making a thousand in the near future and would like to use the most cost effectiver way possible. any input is great

MODS: sorry if this is the wrong forum, I thouight it seemed most appropriate.

thanks

2. bryguy12

bryguy12 Member

Uniformed suggestion: with this large of a print run, have you checked out subcontracting this to a local printshop? Obviously final cost would depend on total number of copies required, by how quick, by colors, blah blah -- but I would think whatever profit % they would add would be easily offset by your 'now free' manhours.

Though I am also aware that time is not always the most valued component... (many times I've done stuff just because I preferred the menial task rather than the stress of the 'real' job.)

But, I would guess the printshop could do this cheaper than you could by hand. Let's see if anyone else has some better 'do it yourself' numbers and offers some other suggestions.

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Depending upon the number of colors used and the number of copies run per printing run, it might be cheaper to use a printing shop. However, if you can find a bulk feed type commercial printer(Cheaper on ink in the long run), your cost per page would drop, but would be offset by a higher cost of equipment purchase. Look into after-market print cartridges, or refill them yourself, would save in the end. 1000 copies would be very time consuming using an ink-jet printer. If you can keep it to 2 or fewer colors, would definitely be cheaper and more time economical to go commercial printing. Call around your area and get some quotes. Let us know what you find.

4. godowar

godowar Member

eh, I see your predictament....i apologize i have no solution. Though the outsourcing seems like a feasible response.......
    instead i have my own inquiry......

i need to print out about 20 ps2 labels that were lost....i have them all downloaded from covers.to and are on a usb flash drive...can i just run into walmart and get them printed? or drive to the city and get kinkos? i have like 3 printers and one is decent but i cant find the power cable!! :( the printer i have sitting here in use (for b*w) is a HP deskjet 610cl....would it be worth me putting color ink into it and printing them myself?

5. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I use a HP LaserJet 2600n color laser printer at home. It's a very affordable color laserjet and will cost about 12 cents a copy... I have printed a few thousand covers over the last two years with it. Good luck!!!

6. blubyu

blubyu Member

Definately outsource. It's for bus purposes - it's gotta get done both quickly and done well, not to mention the cost. You won't have time to mess around let alone running into problems.