1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What program is the best when it comes to ripping DVDs before using DVD-RB ?

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Goreski, Jul 27, 2007.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

DVD-RB can't rip, not to my knowledge anyways; have just purchased latest version so am the proud owner of 1.26.6 Pro and double-checked the available options (some of which are new so i don't yet know whagt they mean) but i don't see any ripping options ??..??..

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Creaky---I have AnyDVD on for this screenshot.
    [​IMG]
    Take a look at the paths in my pic with the same version of DVD-RB you have. I still like working off the hard drive better, but the backround of Windows explorer shows the drive names and looks like it works as a ripper in this case.

3. creaky

i see you have a newer version of AVI Synth; i'm still using version 2.5.6.0.

anyways, cheers for the screenshot, that makes sense now, i'm just so used to ripping a DVD to hard drive first, then using DVD-RB, i'd have never noticed you can use DVD-RB like that otherwise (plus i don't use AnyDVD anyway).

Long ago i used to use DVD Shrink to rip/transcode straight from the source DVD but as far as i'm aware it's better on the optical (ripping) drive to do a straight rip to hard drive first; i always rip (to hard drive) using DVDFab, then rip/encode/transcode/whatever from there, using whichever program from there

4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I normally dont use this setup, but had to experiment. Normally its closer to what you posted Creaky! Anyway, you said you dont know half the options, if there are any questions just ask, the best features I believe are the batch processing and I'm now getting into the mobile conversion tools.

5. creaky

Cheers, though i don't like messing too much; having loads of machines means too many settings to get broken :)
    As to the batch processing, always wanted to use that (but never got around to it) when my fastest machine would take 4/5 hours in DVD-RB, but now i have this monster PC i don't have a need to batch encode. I do spend most of my PC time encoding AVI's and for that i make full use of ConvertXtoDVD's batch encoding feature.

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Go ahead and rub it in deeper. :) I'll be done with mine when Intel has their NEW quads out soon!!! LOL

7. blair99

blair99 Member

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Any one that works. Many of us use AnyDVD because it integrates with Decrypter, is updated often, can rip HD movies, and removes the need for hardware to be HDCP ready.

Some however still prefer to go the free route and DVDfab does ok there too.

9. resboard

resboard Member

I have used AnyDVD with DVD Decrypter and then DVD2One for years without a problem.

10. briker

briker Member

i wonder i u could create proper tv sized xvid movies with dvdRB by changing the custom settings in the mobile output options, has anyone tried this.