1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Program? Nero?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joemoe, Dec 31, 2004.

1. joemoe

joemoe Member

I have nerovision express 2 as the program I have been using to burn AVI files to a DVD. I heard that nero is not the best program to use and I should use something else like TMPGenc Xpress 3.0 to encode the file to keep its quality. Is this ture? How do I use TMPGenc to do so? Do I use it with the avi file I downloaded? Or does it create a avi file? Because it won't read my avi file in less im just doing it wrong. Is it ok to use nero as far as quality? I am not ripping from DVD's I just download them mostly in AVI format and burn them to a DVD using nero. Is there a better method? Or A better program I should use?

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear joemoe,
    I've tested about 10 programs for encoding .avis as of to date. My experience has been that if Nero can do it, the resulting quality would be fine. However, on my system, Nero cannot do it all the time, and I have to rely on other programs to do it. DVDSanta works most of the time, but there is the sync. problem from time to time. TMPGenc Xpress 3.0 is sure but slow. My latest acquisition is Aurora Media Workshop. Works like TMPGenc but much faster.
    So my opinion is if Nero works for you all the time, consider yourself lucky. *_*

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Actually NVE 3 is my favorite proggy for converting, authoring and burning files. it's faster than most, it allows a very creative menu with some neat import features and it burns to disc without having to write to the hard drive. Since you can preview your work with a remote before you burn and you can go back and change anything not to your liking or correct anything that doesn't work, you don't need to write to your hard drive.

If the files are over 4.37 then I do write to the HD and then run those files thru Recode or Shrink, etc. since they will do a better job of compressing with their quality settings.

I just did a 3 hour movie in NVE 3 in about 3 1/2 hours including file conversion, custom menu, create chapters, and burn to disc. I don't know of another proggy that will do that.

BTW, Nero works all the time for me, if you are having problems, more than likely you have something on your PC causing conflict like Roxio, packet writing software, etc.

Here is a little quickie NVE 3 guide I wrote that might be of some assistance:

http://www.zentarium.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005