1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What resolution is right for me SVGA or XGA?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by salelkar, Jan 22, 2006.

1. salelkar

salelkar Member

I am looking for a projector for my home. Will be used for DVD movies and some cable TV. Plan to go for a 10 ft diagonal screen. My friend tells me that I MUST go for XGA as SVGA resolution will be useless. Am not too sure. Can someone help? Will SVGA work as well or shoudl I spend the additional $300 for an XGA?

Thanks

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No. You should spend $300 on an WXGA (or Wide-XGA / 1366x768) projector. A display that has a WXGA resolution can resoulve all of the lines in a 720p (1280x720 prgressive scan) signal!

3. salelkar

salelkar Member

Understand that. But the specific question was that if one projects a DVD movie form a non progressive scan player (and the movie is in 4:3 format), then can one make out the difference (beween SVGa and XGA) by looking at teh projected image (assuming image size is about 10 feet diagonal). Also, will 2000 ANSI be sufficient for semi controlled light viewing?

Thanks

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Is there a difference between SVGA (800×600) and XGA (1152×864) on a 120" screen? Oh ya. But it will depend mostly on viewing distance.

Yes.

My question is, will the video material always be 4:3 (1.33:1)?

Ced