1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Resolution Should I Scan Photos At?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by TruthIs1, Feb 25, 2007.

1. TruthIs1

TruthIs1 Member

I want to arcive a photograph collection. The images will be used to make reprints, enlargements, and a slide show. Some of the photos are black & white.

What's a good resolution to scan them at?

How big will the files be?

Is there a program that will let you scan multiple photos at once, making them into individual files?

Have a nice day! :)

(I have an Epson Perfection 2480)

2. onya

onya Guest

http://www.epson.com.au/products/scanner/perfection2480P.asp

Scan your Photographs at the max res you can get, the higher the better. Don't worry too much about the file size, unless you wish to post them on forum pages. What kind of software do you have that came "bundled" with your scanner?

I had a Canon scanner that had Photoshop elements bundled with it. It had the capability of scanning multiple images etc...

Cheers.

3. ireland

ireland Active member

I have a problem with ye statement of scanning at max resolution..
    i can scan at 99000dpi max,that means i will be scanning a 4x6 pix for over a month..

benchmark of scanning a pix is 300dpi

Definition: DPI stands for dots per inch. DPI is a measurement of printer resolution that defines how many dots of ink are placed on the page when the image is printed. DPI does not correspond directly with PPI because a printer may put down several dots to reproduce one pixel. This is because printers use a limited number of colored inks to reproduce an image consisting of millions of colors. The higher a printer's DPI, the smoother your printed image will appear, provided you have a suitable amount of image resolution (ppi).

Today's photo-quality ink jet printers have DPI resolution in the thousands (1200 to 4800 dpi). They will give you acceptable quality photo prints of images with 140-200 ppi resolution, and high quality prints of images with 200-300 ppi resolution.

The term DPI is often used interchangably with PPI, causing a lot of confusion, however, DPI refers to the resolution of the printing device, where PPI refers to the resolution of the image itself.

Definition: PPI stands for pixels per inch. PPI is a measurement of image resolution that defines the size an image will print. An image that is 1600 by 1200 pixels at 300ppi will print at a size of 5.3 by 4 inches. Or it could be printed at 180 ppi for a printed size of 8.89 by 6.67 inches. The higher the ppi value, the better quality print you will get--but only up to a point. 300ppi is generally considered the point of diminishing returns when it comes to ink jet printing of digital photos.

The term DPI is often used interchangably with PPI, causing a lot of confusion, however, DPI refers to the resolution of a printing device.

more info here
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/glossary/g/dpi.htm

4. onya

onya Guest

A tad time consuming you reckon?....LOL

Ireland, I should have been alot more specific in my wording. Thanks for pointing that out.
    What I should have posted is that my scanner for instance, gives me four choices. 75/150/300/600 dpi. Appologies to all.

Cheers.