1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what software to use?

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by ls1ssws6, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

i recently bought a phillips dvd burner from dell for my dell and im condused at to what software to go with....

i want to make backups of my dvds but they are all copy protected so i was thinking about going with the dvd region + css to crack the protection and the i copy dvds 2 software to burn the dvds......

is this a good/easy setup or do you guys think i should go with something else? let me know
    thanks

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Best 1-2 punch for backing up DVDs, AnyDVD and CloneDVD2,
    www.slysoft.com free 21 day trial then it costs you.
    Best free programs, ripit4me/fixvts and DVDShrink.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/360110
    All you need to get started.
    Good luck and welcome to AD.
    Word of caution, stay away from CMC-MAG disks, usually marketed as Phillips, Imation,Memorex and other off store brand, instead use Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or Ritek.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  3. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

thanks yea i have heard that verbatim and TY are the best brands i saw a 100 pack 8x TY dvds for about 35 bucks on ebay....also you said anydvd which is im assuming the dvd decryption software and the clone dvd2 is the burning software? is this combonation easy to use or will i have to go through a bunch of steps?.....i like the i copy dvds 2 and the dvd + css cause its literally once click and copy? also will that set up you mentioned compress a dual layered dvd to fit onto a regular dvd while keeping the dvd quality?

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

AnyDVD will slice thru any DVD copy prevention measure they have out there, constant updates assure that any new issues will be solved before the mainstream consumer even sees them. AnyDVD works quietly in the background, no user intervention required. CloneDVD2 rips, compresses and burns the DVD onto another DVD. Just push a few buttons and voila! Success!.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/full_dvd_to_dvdr_with_clonedvd.cfm
    As far as buying DVD media from E-Bay, Be careful! Better yet buy from Supermediastore.com or check in the DVDMedia forum for current sales. E-Bay is famous for shoddy merchants and stores which sell fake TY, This thread is long, but well worth the reading.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/296925
    Hope that this helps.
    By the way, I use CloneDVD2/ANyDVD for about 90% of my back ups, Ripit4me/DVDDecrypter/DVDShrink 5%, and AnyDVD/DVDDecrypter/IMGBurn for 5% (Dual layer backups for the goodstuff.)

5. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

man so you use about 6 different programs? why so many? why not just the one or two best ones? also i knwo the dual layer dvds are way more expensive than the standard 4.7gb dvds but why even bother buying them when most software can compress the original dvd and still have 99% quality?

6. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

p.s. i just downloaded dvdshrink do you have to use nero with it or can you use other burning software?

sorry to keep bugging but im trying to find the EASIEST 2 programs that will decrypt 99.99% of movies and another program to burn the dvd....what do you suggest for this?

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

CloneDVD2/AnyDVD the easiest. On some movies if you back up the entire movie, plus all the features, the compression approaches 44% Quality, That is why I use DL on the good ones.

8. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

ok an example is i copied lord of war cause it was closest to me at the time for my first back up and the movie says its 121 minutes...i copied it onto a single layered 4.7gb disk with no problems...so i guess for movies over maybe 2 and a half hours i should use dual layered dvds? what is a good dual layer dvd to go with?

9. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

dont know how to edit so im adding...i have the dvd region + css now but i read that css is the basic decoding used with earlier DVDs will the Anydvd decrypt css plus all the newer stuff?

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Okay there are other threads debating free programs so I will focus on the pay-to-use apps. In general there are 2 programs mentioned on these forums that are used for copying dvd's. One being AnyDVD w/ CloneDVD2 OR 1Click DVD Copy w/AnyDVD (or instead of AnyDVD a free program called DVD43Free that does the same thing as AnyDVD but isnt as stable/dependable). So here goes the pros and cons of both.

AnyDVD w/ CloneDVD2
    *AnyDVD is updated VERY frequently to handle the new encryptions
    *Both CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD have full featured 21 day trials.
    *CloneDVD2 although requires only a few steps (all must be done with AnyDVD running the entire time!)
    *1st-Select either main movie only OR Whole Disc
    *2nd-Select the drive the movie is in and hit ok. Then hit "Next".
    *3rd-You will now be looking at a Audio and Subtitle Settings box.
    In most instances you should not need to bother this, but if you
    should have to theres a excellent help file as well as this site.
    Hit Next.
    *4th-You are now facing the "Burning" screen. Make sure the option
    "DVD Writer" (its located top right) is selected. Select your DVD
    burner from the list of installed Drives. Select your preffered
    burning speed. Then Hit "Go". If doing "Movie Only" mode your
    copy should be completed in 15-20 mins. depeding on your burner
    and your burn settings.

*These two pieces software purchased together will cost you a one time price of $59. That is all the money you will ever spend and the activation key you acquire will be good forever.

1Click DVD Copy w/ AnyDVD or DVD43Free
    *1Click DVD Copy does just what it says copies a movie with 1 click. However this is based on the assumption that you will be burning each movie with the same settings.
    *There is no option to select desired burn speed.
    *Online Activation required so if product is discontinued and/or declared illegal you can no longer use it. Not the case with CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD these require no online activation so if company is shutdown/declared illegal, you have no worries you can still activate your product.
    *This software will cost you $59 and $19 dollars a year ever year after purchase.

11. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

GREAT post it helped clear some things up for me...it seems like anydvd and clonedvd2 is the way to go...like i said i was recently running i copy dvds 2 with dvd nation + css and copied about 4 dvds but kept running into problems with the 5th dvd....i downloaded the free trials of anydvd and clonedvd2 and copied it without a problem QUICKLY....also i love anydvds help and walktrhough it was very helpful, i also love how i could select my own speed....i think ill use up the 21 day trial see how it goes then purchase it if everything works out good....

12. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

i just saw some advertisement for dvdfab express.....anyones thoughts on it?

13. arniebear

arniebear Active member

If you are going to spend money then spend it on AnyDVD and CloneDVD it is the better bargain. I have used DVDFab Platinum and although the program is good and updated, I feel it overcompresses the quality is equal to Clone, and AnyDVD and Clone are just as easy to get used to. If you don't want to spend money then just use the ripper part of DVDFab which is free, DVDFab Decrypter and then you can use other programs. I have two Dells and AnyDVD and Clone run well on them, also the freebies of DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, VobBlanker, FixVTS and RipIt4Me. Nero 6 does good but have had problems with 7.

14. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

so you think that anydvd and dvdclone2 are a better 1 2 punch than dvd region + css and i copy dvds 2? i really like the ease of use with dvdclone2 and anydvd plus they are a lot cheaper than the other combo....

15. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Most of AD will recommend Slysoft's AnyDVD and CLoneDVD2 as the way to go, but it seems having a second optoion is always a good idea incase you run into a disk that one combo can't handle, but I have never seen and disk that Slysoft hasn't been able to take care of.

16. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I have found that AnyDVD and Clone are sufficient for everything. If they don't work then the freebies will. I have bought/tested a number of programs and found these two to be the most compatible on a number of computers. Silly to waste money on programs that may/may not work. Slysoft gives you a 21 day trial period which is pretty good and you know if the software works and will cause problems. It still comes down to what the user is most comfortable with.

17. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@ls1ssws6
    Like arniebear said although DVDFab Platinum may be a quality product. In my eyes it is comparable to the Platinum version of DVD X COPY. But for the average user AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 are a better option.

*note-I forgot to place this in my previous post, but AnyDVD also stops/blocks the copy protection schemes on CD's from starting! So you can rip any cd too!

18. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Member

yea i think im gonna give roxio a call to return their software and im gonna delete i copy dvds 2 and dvd + css and just keep anydvd and dvdclone2.....thanks for all your input guys