1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what sound streams to rip?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Nuke, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Nuke

Nuke Member

I hope this is not too stupid of a question but bare with me I'm a newbie. When ripping a movie without all the special features should you rip both the Dolby 5.1 and Dolby 2 channel audio streams. I have a home theater system with 5.1 and I've hade no problems with audio but I usually get rid of the 2 channel stream to save more space for burning. If I lend a ripped DVD to a Friend who doesn't have 5.1 will they have audio problems or will just 2 channels be played from the TV. I ask because spoken word usually comes from the center channel and music and effects from the other speakers. Thanks!

2. malum

malum Regular member

The two channel sound is either a commentary or a dub in a different language, so if you don't want either of those you can get rid of it.
    (some movies may only have two channel sound BTW in which case it's obviously the soundtrack)

Dolby 5:1 is downmixed to stereo if you don't have an AV reciever so anyone should be able to hear the sound no matter what they play it on.

DTS is not downmixed to stereo so if you just rip the DTS track anyone without an AV amp won't hear anything, so if you are going to share the disc don't use the DTS track unless there is room for it and the 5:1 track

3. Nuke

Nuke Member

thank you for the reply, much appreciated.