1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Sound Systems To Get

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by bulls90, Apr 2, 2005.

1. bulls90

bulls90 Guest

I dont know much about sound systems and I need some advice. I can spend between $300-400 for a good systems just to get started. I have a 60" projection TV that has fairly descent speakers. It is in the family room (18ftx16ft) but it is an open room connecting the kitchen and dining room. I've seen sound system package that comes with 5 small speakers for less than $400. Are they any good?

What other options do I have? I already have 2 nice speakers (80watts each), is it worth just buying a descent amps and 1 subwoofer and just use my existing L/R speakers for now? Please advise.

2. a-vman

a-vman Member

Your room is fairly large. I don't think there are any "Home Theater in a Box" systems that will make most people happy in medium to large rooms.
    My suggestion would be to use the fronts you already have, and purchase equipment as you can afford it to accompany them.
    On your budget I would catch a Sony AVR on sale, (should find a decent one under $150) and a good 8" sub. If you look around you should find one under $300 (suggest the 8" sub from Reel Acoustics, pounds hard for the money). I think it actually runs about $360, but you should find a dealer who'll turn one lose if you have $300 in-hand.
    As funds become available add your center channel speaker(try to match the brand of fronts you already have) and surround speakers(not as important to make these match).
    This will give you a system that will perform much better than the "Box" systems.
    Good Luck

3. bulls90

bulls90 Guest

Thanks a-vman. That makes sense. I will start with purchasing AVR and a sub. As far as audio cables, what size do I use? 14" gauge or bigger?

4. a-vman

a-vman Member

14 ga. is great. make sure your speakers will handle it. Some speakers only go up to 16 ga. You would have to trim strands to make 14 fit if this is the case.
    When buying your interconnects, don't get taken at the store by the salesman. They make their money by selling cables and warranties. They will push the most expensive cables they have (usually Monster brand, which is grossly overpriced). You should spend money on cables in correlation to the cost of your equipment. If you have low end equip. by bargain cables. If you have high end by high cables. Expensive cables and wire won't give enough boost from moderately priced equipment to warrant the upgrade.
    IMHO
    P.S. the Phillips and AR interconnects are great buys.