1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Speed and Firmware?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mikej3131, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Hello, i have Nero 7 premium and was wondering what is the latest and best firmware for it and where can i download it at? and also why is buring a movie at a lower speed better?

Also can you booktype on nero 7 premium and how would you go about doing that

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Firmware is on your drives. This fw tells your burner how to burn that particular MID coded media.

Find out what your burner brand name, model#,and current firmware version and go here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

You can use neroinfo tool to find actual model# and firmware version. Make sure that version closely matches the one you download. For example: My benq 1620 first had a B7-C9 fw,I then updated it to the B7-V9 firmware.

Not quite sure how to set nero7 up to do it,but other things to consider:

Nero burning rom will booktype some drives with programs like dvd shrink. Like on my benq 1620s. Some drives may need special utilities/firmware/or hacked fw.Not all dvd-rw drives have this capability.Benq/Plextor/Lite-on/LG/Some sony/ricoh are just a few. Pioneer and NEC need special hacked fw.

Post back the drive brand name/model#/and fw version. Some can be tricky to figure out the right fw updates.

Slower speed?

This too depends on the quality of your burner. If you have a benq 1640,some of the quality media like ty and verbatim have to be burned at least 8x. Crappier burner,then probably slower. Your stand alone players and other pc drives are also factors. They will show you playback issues if they are burned too fast.

4x is par. Scan some of your backups at different burn speeds. Burn those discs which scan with the fewest errors. Nero speed test can do this.

3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

4. beltline

beltline Regular member

In Nero 7, under toolkit, click on Nero CD/DVD Speed. When the box pops up, the white box at the top next to Nero CD/DVD Speed should have your burner and firmware. Write down everything in that box and post it.

5. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

will do later. thanks

6. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Heres a good article on booktyping:
    http://www.booktypefaq.com/

Also if you click on my name, it will take you to my homepage. There i have a blog on setting booktype with various programs, Nero included.

7. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Hey thanks im gonna look into that. can you booktype a xvid movie thats on a dvd-r to make the player think its reading a dvd-rom

Do any of you know the answer to this question?

I have a bunch of movies that are DVD rips that got compressed into DivX format. Now my question is, is it worth it to buy dvd-r's and burn these DivX movies back onto a DVD-R. This is what i currently do. i use Nero 7 premium and open up Nero then click on burn dvd movie and drag and drop the XviD file onto Nero and click burn. Will there be a gain in quality?

8. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

in your booktyping article it has

Change Your DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL Media to DVD-ROM using Nero Burning ROM (Click For Nero Express Tutorial)

and

Change Your DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL Media to DVD-ROM using Nero Express

what is the difference and Which one would be for me? i have nero premium 7.

Beltline and saugmon. im going to get my burner and firmware whenr i get home n then post it.

thanks everyone

9. whompus

whompus Active member

The short answer to both your questions is NO.
    Question 1 you can not booktype - media only +
    Question 2 There is quality lost with each conversion. If it is a lot or a little is in the eye of the beholder.

The thing is the original is converted to divx or xvid so there is a bit of quality lost with that conversion then you convert it back to dvd video. So there is a second conversion and no matter what converter you use you can not get back anything that was lost. The second conversion goes through another process of conversion so it takes whatever non standerd aspect ratio that might have been used at conversion to divx or xvid and converts it back to standard dvd ratio. Therefore it is kinda making computerized guesses at what to fill in the gaps with.

10. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

good info whompus.

So if i understood you correctly, converting the xvid back to dvd will be another loss in quality?

And what do you mean with aspect ratio. Do you mean When the movie was originally converted to xvid, someone chanegd the aspect ratio? why do they do that?

And when it converts back to dvd, does it changes to 16:9 ratio?

11. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Also, will it be better to get a xvid player instead of converting them to dvd and playing on dvd player?

12. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

As whompus stated, you can only booktype +R media, and if you really want to give your brain an exercise, read this as to why +R format is better:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/print/article/113
    Dont worry if you dont get all of it. It explains why the +R format can booktype and the -R cant.
    Whompus will give you better answers on vid conversions as i rarely do that.
    As far as which programs to use in nero, it is up to you. Express and burning rom both can burn movies. Here is my buddy alkohol's guide for using Nero burning rom amongst other programs:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/256436

Good luck, and post back if you have any problems.

13. whompus

whompus Active member

They do it to get the file smaler. So on conversion back to dvd that is where the flickering and pixilation comes in. It didnt get the gaps quiet right. Mostly the flikering light specks in the vidio is what happens then.

Myself, I went out and got a cheep philips 642. As I dont see any reason to try upconverting a divx or xvid any way. I do like the divx v.o.d. I will most likely never go to a theater again when they get the right to video on demand the movie on the day of theater release. I hate going to the theater and having to deal with all the phones and screeming kids. Plus I like the idea of setting in my great room to watch whatever I want, and fireing up a stogy or blunt with no worrys around me.

If I could just figure out the protocol for my remote to get my beer and twist the blunt I would be a true potato.

14. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

haha yeah that would be a nice remote.

So xvid movies add black bars? and if so, doers it cut some of the movie out?

What is the standard dvd Aspect ratio?

Does your philips play xvids, and if not do you convert your xvids to dvd's?

when i used nero 7 premium, the aspect ratio stayed the same as the xvid i had, why is that?

15. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

well here goes my burner and firmware

tsstcorp cd/dvdw ts-h552b ga04

now what do i do at this site. http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php
    can someone help me out here. i want to get verbatim dvd-r discs now that i here they are good. What speed settings should i change around in my burning software to get the best quality and longst lasting discs?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  16. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@mikej3131
    I went to the firmware site and found your drive:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces
    It looks like you have the current firmware for a gateway system.
    To find firmware if you went to the page listed by saugmon
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php
    To the left is a link called Download Search. When you click on it, input some or all of the drive name, and it will look for the results. In your case i put ts-h552b and did the search. Then we try to match current firmware (you listed GA04) and that is listed there as the current one. (for gateway)
    With firmware current, and good media like the Verbs you have, all you have to do now is burn at 4x and you should be good. Some ppl burn at higher speeds, but 4x is a good speed to start with as it will give the best quality in most cases. Some go slightly faster and get good quality. I use the +R format most of the time and booktype them to DVD-ROM. This helps in compatiblity with stand alones and other systems.

17. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

does nero,clonedvd, etc. booktype dvds? and if so, is it as simple as clicking on a booktype check box before burning?

18. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

hey maxburn,

Saugmon posted that some verbatims have to be burned at 8x. Why is this?

19. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@mikej3131
    The strange thing is, on some systems an 8x burn works fine but a 4x gives them coasters. It would seem like slower is better, but that isnt always the case. In a thread where a guy was saying always burn at 16x, i did a test of various burn speeds and found that 8x gives me a better quality burn than a 4x on the same drive. You should check some of your burns with the nero cd/dvd drive speed, and click on the Disc Quality tab. You will find what speeds give you the quality you are looking for.
    Nero will booktype, but cloneDVD2 will not do it on its own. I use a drive booktyping utility (lite-on, and i used DVD Decrypter to set the LG drive), and i use CloneDVD2 most of the time. The discs come out booktyped DVD-ROM. If you have a +R disc, these programs will set the booktype for you. Remember, booktyping only works on +R or +RW discs.

20. beltline

beltline Regular member

***EDIT nevermind, maxburn answered it perfectly ***

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006