1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do with the mpeg file once its burned

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by diablo, Sep 28, 2003.

1. diablo

diablo Guest

i burned several mpeg movies as vcd on cd-r... if i want later to burn them as svcd or to dvd once i get a dvd burner should i use the original file or can i use the vcd that i just burned using the original file?
    i used tmpgenc to convert them to vcd.

what do i do with the original files that i burned to vcd's . should i delete the origina file?

2. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

if you have the harddrive space keep the orginal or make data cds of all videos as i do i case i want the dvd or the vcd or svcd

but i know with roxio if you put the vcd in your cd rom an up it in my computer and look for what format it is saved in then you may already have a backup, like my video format on the vcd turns into a dat file and you can open a dat file in tmpgenc

i recommend you try it first to see if it works for you b4 you delete orginals

3. diablo

diablo Guest

is it a good idea to burn off the origianl track or video file to get the best quality or is it okay to burn off the burn that one makes, if later i want to make a svcd or dvd?

4. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

why would you want to make a svcd disk from a vcd..the quality would not get any better and it would be a waste of space and time...always start with the original for the best results..

5. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

to save the space save the orginals as data but why not just go to svcd right now instead of vcd

6. diablo

diablo Guest

i wanted to go to scvd but when i tried encoding it to scvd it would require me to save it on two disks instead of the one disk when i encode it to vcd. if i encode it to scvd then most of the mpeg files go over one disk so i just encoded it to vcd since it was less and could fit the movie on one disk

7. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

well, if that works for you fine. Really the only difference (but it can be a big one)is the quality of the picture. Svcd has much better quality to it than vcd (especially with movies that have a lot of action to them). This is why svcd takes more space on a cd. This is why going from vcd to svcd is pointless...you can't go from a lesser quality(vcd) to a better quality picture(svcd)..the only thing you accomplish is taking up more space on the cdr..

8. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Just to add my 2 cents.....since cd-r's are so cheap, I strongly recommend making your original an mpeg2 (SVCD)and put it on 2 discs or just leave it on yer HD. You'll thank yourself later, since if you rip at a high frame rate, your finished movie (once you do get yerself a dvd burner) will be MUCH MUCH higher quality than if you had made it from an mpeg1 (VCD) original. Also, if yer like me, once you have the dvd burner, you'll no longer even consider putting video on a cd.

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Or even to keep a high qualtiy version as AVI