1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SypherTek, Dec 7, 2005.

1. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

hey all,

ive got a socket A mobo and athlon XP 3200... which i think ive bust lol. i dont need any help with this what i need is an opinion

do you reckon i should bother buying a new sempron processor and if so which one would you advise.
    will the sempron perform as well as my athlon did?

i hear they are good overclockers and that they run a lot cooler than the athlons.

Basically should i spend money on a sempron or hold out for a while and get a new mobo and an athlon 64.

2. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

I would say get a athlon 64. Im running a 3700 san diego athlon 64 and absolutely love it....just hated 64 bit windows, but it still runs good on reg windows.

But make sure to get dual channel mem, single really hampers the performance. I know I just upgraded from pc2700 one gig in single channel to dual channel pc3200 and what a helluva improvement...:>

3. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

Let me rephrase my question a little. Im aware that a 64 would be well worth buying along with a new mobo but moneys a little tight.

would it be worth my while to spend £50 on the sempron processor - would it give me the same performance as my Athlon

or should i just keep the £50 and wait till ive got the £200 id need for a 64 and new mobo

4. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

No i dont think the sempron is good as a athlon. I dont know how lont it takes ya to make a 150 in eupore, but it aint much here in the states. So I personally would wait and and buy the 64. Whats the point to buy a cheap chip to only upgrade in a month or two?::>

5. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

it takes a long to time to get an extra £150 (that is £150 that i can spend on computery bits) i have bills and such to pay

i think ill hold out for now anyway save up and get me an X2 when they finally have DDR2 support, then sell on my old box to anybody dumb enough to buy it for a high price lol

6. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

There ya go...thats the american way rip a dumb person off ha ha. If they aint smart enough to know how much its worth then its their own fault. Yeah ya better off...but what is 150 europe equivalent in american dollars?

7. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

£150 is worth $260 dollars (according to yahoos converter calc)

and if ripping off dumb people is the american way then we have a lot in common :p lol

8. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

LOl! Not is just human nature to rip everyone off I think.

Well that still aint a helluve a lot of money. I guess our money is not worth as much as yours cause thats a high conversion. I make a wee bit more than that in a week...so if it was me a few weeks and that chip would be mine...:>