1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to look for in a decent HDMI cable?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by mobster11, Jan 9, 2011.

1. mobster11

mobster11 Member

I'm looking to get an HDMI cable for my Xbox 360. I've never needed one before so I don't know anything about them. I would appreciate some help with my questions before I make a purchase. In parenthesis I've related my questions to TVs to better explain the question I'm asking.

1. What features or attributes differentiate HDMI cables? (TV ex: screen size, resolution, refresh rate)
    2. Of these features, what is considered good and bad characteristics?(TV ex: 720p, 1080p, 100,000:1)
    3. What are good brands? What are the best brands?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Resolutions supported are shown in tables here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

I buy the latest version (was 1.3, now 1.4 are being offered) at the lowest price on eBay.
    I don't have any problems with them (they either work or don't work) since I connect them and let them collect dust.

3. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I think 1.4 is only worth it if you’re getting into 3D. I know the Xbox is capable of doing 3D. There are already some games in 3D for the 360 (Batman, Black Ops, Crysis 2 will have it as well). So like Attar said, get the lowest price HDMI 1.4 Cable. Almost all HDMI cables offer the same performance. Don't get the absolute cheapest but definitely don't buy expensive HDMI cables, there's no point.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

This is the bottom line.. digital signals can be sent through any old junk wire.. the days of high cost "oxygen free" and other bs are over .. they only mattered (and only then to people who imagined they could hear a difference) in analog world.
    Look for quality connectors and a workman like bit of kit.. shouldn't cost the earth.. I see £80 and up hdmi cables.. honestly what's the point when a £4.99 one does exactly the same job? .. decent cables will specify things like crosstalk between wires inside and whatnot.. cheap and nasty will not.. but ... I would still say it's better to pay £4.99 each on a few different brands and see which do the job than £80 on one all singing all dancing oxygen free and all the bells and whistles.. because they don't make a toss of difference to the digital encode/decode side of things.. .. just a plain ripoff.. selling to the "audiofools" who think a gold plated fuse in a standard 13a plug "sounds" better than a standard one... and will pay £13 for their fantasy!!