1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to look for in a good computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Tim_vaj, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Tim_vaj

Tim_vaj Guest

hey i am hoping to buy an computer from ebay. so can ya give me some tips on what to look for in a very good decent computer. Plus what make a computer good such as running well without lagging on the internet or the desktop. thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

3. Tim_vaj

Tim_vaj Guest

ummmmmmm......excuse me i don't get what your trying to say

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Your message just got moved to a different section of the website where it's more appropriate, that's all.
    As for the question, here's what's good now:

Dual core Processor - means you can do many things at once, and if something crashes it has no noticeable affect on performance. Best to go for right now is the Core 2 Duo (E6320 on a low budget, E6600 on higher budget). Cheap Athlon64X2 models such as the 4200+ are also powerful.

At least 1GB (preferably 2x1GB) of memory. Two sticks is the optimum configuration for speed and latency. I recommend Corsair memory.

Hard disks - your choice really, best value drives are around the 320-500GB mark.

Graphics card - PCI express 16x. A 7600GT makes a good value card, The 8800 series for best performance.

Power supply - check for reputable manufacturers. Enermax, Tagan, Hiper, Corsair, OCZ, Thermaltake, Antec, Seasonic and Nexus are all good makes.

Case - any you like, but get one that supports 120mm case fans for good cooling

Cooler - something by Zalman or Thermalright. The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is also a good value cooler.