1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of computer?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jay05, May 28, 2004.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey,
    what type of computer do you all own? Just curious.
    I'm asking this because I'm currently trying to buy pieces to build my new one. So if you can write down as much as possible or even tell me where you bought it would be great!
    thanx for your time...

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have built my own for the past 10 years, the last purchased one was a 486 from Gateway 2000 in 1993.

I have found that building your own always is usually the cheapest way and also you get exactly what you want. Usually a factory pc you have to make some compromise.

What I use:
    Motherboard - I have been using Asus motherboards since the first Pentium 1 that I built in 1995. I have used both their boards for AMD and Intel and never had a single problem with any of them.

Memory - I use Crucial, but any of the big name memory makers is ok - Mushkin, Corsair, etc. I avoid the generic chips.

Video - I usually go with Nvidia here. They have better driver support and seem more stable than ATI. Especially if you are going to run anything but Windows like Linux or FreeBSD the Nvidia drivers are much better than anything ATI has released. As far as 3D Acceleration goes, they are pretty much neck to neck, one will get a few FPS ahead of the other, then the next card will leapfrog the other again.

Sound - I stick with Creative here, mainly from my experiences back in the DOS days where Soundblaster compatibility was more important than these days. I still have an SB AWE card that has been working for 10 years now. If you are recording music like in a home studio I would go for a higher end music card.

Hard Drives - I like Western Digital. I still have one that is 12 yrs old that still runs in the old pc I keep for playing DOS games. 2 other WDs are 7 years old in another pc and still running. The Maxtor I had died after about 5 years.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    We do have a PC hardware section ;-)