1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of DVD disk ? (newbie alert!)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by AmiNutall, Jan 28, 2005.

1. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Just struggling a bit with types of disk.
    If I go into explorer , my D drive shows as a DVD -RW drive. The label on the actual drive says its DVD + rewritable DVD +R DL.
    I believe that means I should use DVD -RW disks ? However , with bad advice, I bought some DVD +RW disks, and have somehow managed to save, via Nero, some video footage ?!
    So could somebody kindly answer these for me , as I keep getting conflicting advice, thanks. Assume Im going to be copying to DVD via Nero, though may move to Pinnacle. Thanks

a) Should you have to format DVD +/-RW disks first ?
    b) When copying files to DVD RW, do you have to somehow select to not finalise in Nero, to ensure you can write to the DVD again?
    c)How did I manage to write to DVD +RW ?!

Many thanks in advance.

2. wayne77

wayne77 Member

should be no need to format disks i never have. And
    in nero i have version 6 you can untick finalise
    disk this is 2/3 hope it helps.

3. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi AmiNutall and welcome to AD.

wayne77 is quite correct there's no need to format CDs' and DVDs'

If your burner is fairly modern it will burn both DVD+R & DVD-R.. DVD-R are the most popular, and will only burn once!

DVD_+ RWs' however are far more expensive and can be used over and over again
    In the early learning burning days, it works out much more cost effective to use RW discs

I'd stick to Nero if I were you this link will tell you all you need to know http://www.nero.com/en/Tutorials.html

good luck and happy burning

gringle

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2005
  4. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Thanks guys...

Have just tried copying to my DVD +RW in Nero Vision Express2 - and it has done it ! So it does appear my DVD -RW drive writes to +RW as well !

Just a few other queries , that I have received some help on, on another section...

1 - Its been suggested I copy from my Mini DV recorder to my pc using the DV format , rather than WMV, as the quality is supposedly better. Is this possible using Nero Vision Express 2 ? The only other software I seem to have is Nero Express 6.
    Do I have to then change it to MPEG somehow . Is the difference in quality worth it ?
    I have tried reading thru the guides , and I have learned a great lot from these , (thanks to those who wrote them), I just need a few pointers to get m eon my way.

Great website
    Thanks again

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  5. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Still hoping somebody can help me on my queries above. Thanks in advance.