1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Type Of DVD To Use???

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by uLie, Jan 6, 2005.

1. uLie

uLie Member

I was wondering if like PS2, XBOX games require good DVD's to play. On Ps2 DVD's like memorex turn out very few good copies. I was wondering what type of DVD's are the best for XBOX games. And does DVD-r or +r matter?

2. BR7

BR7 Regular member

Depends on your drive. Some drives are better at reading than others. http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Images/DVDComparison.jpg

Not pictured is the new Hitachi-LG drive. The new drive appears in some Xbox consoles manufactured since end september 2004 (Xbox v1.6/v1.6b) and the build date of the drive is September 2004 or later.

My advice.. get Ritek's G04 (1x, 2x, 4x) or G05 (1x, 2x, 4x, 8x). All have worked for me. Also, Verbatims are good, but expensive. About 20 minutes ago, I just bought 500 G04's for less than $200. Or just buy like a 3 pack of your choice and test. Find one that works consistently and stick with it. (stay away from memorex).

+/- R or +/- RW all depends on your drive. I stick with -R's myself. Also, CDRW's work, if the game is small enough and some CDR's have worked for me as well.

3. uLie

uLie Member

Thanks BR7. They recommend ritek G04's for PS2 games also. Where Did u buy all those G04's?????

O and BTW i have a Thompson drive in my XBOX so What does that Mean???

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  4. BR7

BR7 Regular member

Ebay.. I think my total was $208 w/shipping.

Thompson is better than the Phillips, but by far, IMO, the Samsung is the far superior of the 3. So I'd just buy a couple of -R's and test-n-try. Find a brand that works and stay with it.